Position Overview & Responsibilities
The Admissions Office at Merrimack College is looking for a highly motivated Associate Director of Admission. The Associate Director provides exemplary leadership in the supervision of undergraduate admission staff directly responsible for the recruitment, application evaluation, decision making, and admission programs.
The Associate Director will be directly involved in the planning and execution of recruitment strategies to recruit and enroll domestic first-year students. This includes specific oversight of special academic cohort programs. They will ensure that all activities support the institution’s mission and strategic plan, and are properly planned, executed, and assessed. They will be an advocate for training and professional development for the counseling staff to ensure that staff are well-trained and provide outstanding customer service.
The Associate Director will be responsible for managing a recruitment territory including implementing a comprehensive recruitment plan for prospective students, families, counselors, alumni, and other constituents, application evaluation, and other admission programs in support of the recruitment goals for the territory.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate exceptional communication skills, knowledge, and skills in the area of diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competence. They will have the ability to establish and develop long-term professional relationships with multiple constituencies. The Associate Director must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, target-driven environment that upholds the high standards of the institution. Responsibilities include:
- Provides exemplary leadership in the supervision of undergraduate recruitment staff directly responsible for the recruitment, application evaluation, decision making, and admission programs.
- Develop and implement training programs for all recruitment staff.
- Participate in the planning and execution of recruitment strategies to recruit and enroll domestic first-year students.
- Ensure that all recruitment activities support the institution’s mission and strategic plan, and are properly planned, executed, and assessed.
- Oversee admission-based academic cohort program.
- Build effective professional working relationships with people at all levels across the campus, who are involved in recruitment, enrollment, and retention of new undergraduate students.
- Represent Merrimack College to prospective students and their families by attending college fairs/nights and individual visits to high schools, in addition to conducting on-campus group information sessions for students, parents, and guidance counselors.
- Establish channels of communication with prospective students to introduce them to and inform them of Merrimack College; facilitate their relationship with the institution throughout the admissions process starting at the inquiry stage through their enrollment at the college.
- Assist students in the application process through encouragement, answering questions, and providing other advice.
- Read and evaluate applications for admission and participate in the admission committee that makes admission decisions.
- Develop and maintain a network of school and education counselor contacts. Continue to maintain relationships throughout the year; keeping these contacts apprised of current news about the Merrimack community.
- Share responsibility for meeting institutional enrollment goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters, preferred.
- A minimum of six years of admission experience with progressively increasing responsibility in selective college admissions and/or college counseling, or commensurate experience/education
- Evidence of a strong commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills, with a demonstrated commitment to staff development.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a data-oriented and analytical environment that has a high level of individual and team accountability.
- Experience with Slate CRM preferred.
- Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with students and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, including nights, weekends, & travel independently for extended periods of time with overnights. Valid U.S. Driving license required.
- Superior written, verbal, and public speaking communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with prospective students, parents, school counselors, alumni, colleagues, and members of the Merrimack community.
- Strong multi-tasking, organization, and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Valid U.S. passport.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect, and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith, and our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest-growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 650