Position Overview: This position is responsible for establishing and overseeing a comprehensive strategy with a national scope and focus that seeks to enhance the engagement, activity and service of the College’s more than 26,000 alumni. To this end, the incumbent will provide management and oversight of the alumni engagement programs and staff as well as foster collaboration with departments throughout the university including, but not limited to, Admissions, Development, Career Center, Academic Affairs and Student Life. The incumbent will also represent the voice of alumni on campus and serves as the College’s spokesperson with its graduates.
- Responsible for developing a broad range of programs and services designed to address strategic College priorities and engage alumni in meaningful ways.
- Develops and implements a work plan for alumni engagement addressing areas such as career and professional networking, affinity groups, regional events, homecomings, reunions, student recruitment, and alumni communications.
- Collaborate with campus partners and ODAR colleagues to create integrated strategies and well executed scale-able programs that support current strategic goals.
- Develops, directs and successfully manages a long-range strategic plan for the alumni community in concert with the College’s alumni engagement strategy.
- In partnership with the Sr. Director of Development and Donor Communications, develop and manage an alumni communication strategy to include print, social media and web presence.
- Develop a volunteer management strategy to include volunteer cultivation, an effective recruitment structure and tracking system.
- Develop process to track the effectiveness of programming initiatives. Create metrics to measure program success and staff effectiveness.
- Effectively manages the alumni engagement staff; clearly articulates core strategies, programming goals and message points essential for the staff’s successful execution of the alumni engagement program.
- Advise the Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations and the Vice President on strategy effectiveness and make recommendation on new strategies.
- Reviews and oversees the Alumni Engagement budget, allocating resources to address strategic priorities for alumni engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 7+ years of increasing responsibility in Alumni Relations.
- Experience working in higher education or non-profit is preferable.
- Familiarity with tracking systems and a high degree of comfort with using technology to communicate and share information. Millennium experience a plus.
- A deep appreciation for and an ability to successfully articulate the mission and aspirations of Merrimack College.
- Problem Solving: Ability to resolve issues, answer questions, and work independently with limited supervision; must strive to understand and implement industry best practices when appropriate. Should take a data driven approach to aid in problem solving. Provides recommendations for solutions and improvements.
- Communication: Strong interpersonal communication skills required; ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing with varied constituent groups, including senior administration, alumni, donors, corporate partners, co-workers and other university staff.
- Complexity of Tasks: Must be able to balance diverse responsibilities, be extremely organized, manage and prioritize a variety of tasks, adhere to deadlines and create and follow business plans in a fast-paced work environment.
- Leadership Skills: Must be able to build a cohesive and productive team, value collaboration and contribute to a positive work environment; must be willing to accept responsibility and set a good example for co-workers through a strong work ethic and habits. Decisive.
- Initiative/Creativity: Must demonstrate a high level of creativity and be open to innovative solutions. Work with limited supervision, must be willing to take initiative, look for guidance when needed and willing to make informed, good-faith decisions.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.