Position Overview: The Merrimack College Athletic Department seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of Associate Director of Athletic Communications. This full-time, 12-month position will report to the Assistant Athletic Director/Communications and will play a key role in promoting and publicizing the 24 NCAA sports sponsored by Merrimack through both new and traditional media forums. The successful candidate will serve as the primary contact for a number of sports as assigned, and deliver content through a variety of print, web, social media and multimedia methods to a broad base of constituents. This person will play a major role in the day-to-day operations of the communications department and will have a supervisory role with other members of the communications staff, as well as interns and student workers.
- Handle media and public relations functions, as well as all statistics, record books, photography and historical archiving for assigned sports;
- Plan and direct publicity efforts, including multimedia, digital, and social media strategies for promoting your assigned sports in collaboration with coaching staffs of those programs;
- Design, write and edit sports a variety of print- and digital-based content, ranging from game programs, special event publications, press releases, marketing material and more;
- Supervise both the Assistant Director of Athletic Communications and Athletic Communications Assistant
- Train and manage student workers and game-day staff;
- Oversee compilation and organization of video footage for assigned teams and edit/produce feature videos, highlights and other similar material;
- Communicate with and solicit media for event coverage and feature stories;
- Complete conference, regional and national award applications to recognize coaches and student-athletes from assigned programs;
- Oversee setup, live production and breakdown of webcast equipment;
- Travel with teams as necessary, primarily for postseason contests (other travel may be required);
- Other duties as assigned and necessary;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, sports management, journalism, audio-visual communications, or related field
- Experience working in an athletic communications office at an NCAA institution
- Strong organizational, writing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiarity with social media platforms and current trends in the industry
- Working knowledge of Windows and Macintosh computers and operating systems
- Strong background with Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects, etc.);
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, with an emphasis on multi-tasking and working within a team environment while filling a variety of roles, especially on game day;
- Strong knowledge with StatCrew
- Ability and willingness to travel and work nights and weekends as necessary are required.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter, resume, work samples, and three references.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.