Position Description: The associate head men’s ice hockey coach is responsible for assisting the head men’s ice hockey coach in all aspects of running an NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey program by recruiting academically qualified prospective student-athletes, developing and implementing training sessions, practices and game plans, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting student-athletes in their personal, academic and athletic development at Merrimack College. This full-time position reports directly to the head men’s ice hockey coach and is responsible for assisting in all phases of the program in accordance with NCAA Division I, Hockey East and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Assist in the supervision of all aspects of the men’s ice hockey team, at the direction of the head men’s ice hockey coach.
- Provide leadership to men’s ice hockey assistant coach, volunteer coach and auxiliary staff members.
- Oversee and manage the recruitment of high-quality student-athletes, which includes but is not limited to preparing recruiting schedules, travelling to evaluate talent, visiting with prospective student-athletes, planning of on-campus visits, and communicating with athletic compliance office as needed.
- Assist the head coach in determination of athletic scholarship allocation for prospective student-athletes.
- Maintain knowledge of NCAA, Hockey East and college rules and regulations.
- Assist the head coach in all facets of coaching; help plan and run training sessions and on-ice practices.
- Responsible for spearheading one aspect of the special teams in an area of expertise.
- Scout opposing teams and assist in the breakdown of game film for teaching purposes; assist in video analysis of team and individual players.
- Participate in the development of student-athletes, personally, academically and athletically.
- Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
- Participate in departmental activities to include attending all scheduled mandatory meetings and service on committees.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility assigned by the head men’s ice hockey coach.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrated success as a recruiting coordinator with appropriate skills and knowledge
- Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student-athletes
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines
- Experience as a head coach at midget level or above preferred
- NCAA DI collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.