Position Description & Responsibilities
The School of Health Sciences at Merrimack College in North Andover, Massachusetts invites applications for a full-time tenured faculty position at the rank of Associate or Full Professor to serve as the Chair and Chief Nurse Administrator of the Department of Nursing. The position is 12-months and will start no later than July 1, 2022. This position will report directly to the Dean of the School of Health Sciences.
We are seeking a dynamic, outstanding, academic nurse leader to join and lead our newly established Bachelor of Science in Nursing Department. In January 2018, the School of Health Sciences submitted an initial application to the Massachusetts Board of Nursing in Registration and began a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing in the Fall 2019. The Department of Nursing is housed in a new, state-of-the-art Nursing Center . This space includes 6 simulation labs, 2 classrooms, 2 debrief rooms, 15 faculty offices and 2 large student collaborative spaces.
Role/Duties: The Chair and Chief Nurse Administrator
• Provides visionary leadership for the continued development of the Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing, securing department resources and ensuring compliance with licensing and accrediting bodies.
• Contributes to the creation of new, innovative programs within the Nursing Department.
• Represents the Nursing Department as a member of the college’s management team and will work collaboratively with others within the school, College and community to achieve successful outcomes.
• Leads and oversees the administration, planning, implementation and evaluation of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing department.
• Prepares and administers the Nursing Department budget and is responsible for the fiscal wellbeing of the department, will grow student enrollments, and maintain student and faculty retention.
• Serve as a role model and leader for faculty, staff and students in the Department of Nursing.
• Leads and upholds expectations and standards for faculty in research, scholarship, teaching, and service.
Qualifications: We are looking for a dynamic, creative and experienced nursing faculty administrator who has a strong desire for an academic appointment focused on advancing a new department in nursing. Requirements include:
• A PhD or research doctorate in nursing or a closely related field.
• Registered to practice professional nursing in the state of Massachusetts.
• Strong evidence of successful leadership and administration of a nursing department.
• Evidence of a commitment to diversity in research, education, and clinical practice.
• Experience developing nursing curriculum.
• Experience supervising and mentoring faculty.
• Experience or knowledge of establishing clinical sites.
• Experience with accreditation of nursing programs.
• Strong record of scholarly publications and external funding that merits appointment to the academic rank of Associate or Professor.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information (email, phone and physical address) for three references
- Teaching/research statement
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/17/21
Position Code: 910