Position Overview: The Merrimack College Police Department seeks applicants for the position of Campus Police Officer. Principal responsibilities include patrols of college buildings and grounds; safety and security of college community members and property; and enforcement of laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the rules and regulations of the college. The Police Officer is responsible for responding to medical calls, fire alarms, and other emergency situations. This is a sworn police position.
- Patrol of college buildings and grounds to ensure the safety of people and security of buildings and other property.
- Enforcement of the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, town by-laws, and college regulations and policies.
- Conduct investigations and work collaboratively with other agencies in this regard.
- Refer violations to the college’s student conduct system and/or the criminal court system, placing person under arrest or protective custody when appropriate.
- Testify in court and college conduct system hearings; enforce parking rules and regulations. Assist with vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Provide safety escorts and supervise crowd control at college events.
- Respond to medical calls, fire alarms, and other campus emergencies, providing assistance as required.
- Participate in the department’s community policing and crime prevention initiatives as part of regular patrol and at other times.
- Must complete 90 day probationary period.
- Be familiar with dispatching duties to include radio dispatching, answering business and emergency phones, performing various computer duties, maintaining the department log, and other clerical tasks.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- An Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice from an Accredited College/University coupled with the 242 Hour Reserve Intermittent Police Academy or Completion of a Full Time MPTC Academy or Full Time SSPO Academy
- Have been employed as an Auxiliary/Seasonal police officer with a minimum of two years (documented 4000 hours) work experience
- Knowledge of police practices, Massachusetts General Law, and investigative procedures and demonstrate competency in keeping self up-to-date through required department-sponsored training and EOPSS Learning program.
- Ability to analyze emergency situations and make independent decisions affecting the safety and well-being of the community. Must be able to work with or without direct shift supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with members of the college community, visitors to campus, and local agencies/officials.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy, working knowledge of computer aided dispatch and records management programs preferred.
- Must possess a Massachusetts Class a Large Capacity License to Carry for Department approved weapons and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and not have a significant history of motor vehicle infractions.
- Must be able to obtain special state police powers under MGL c. 22C, §63 at hire and retain these powers as condition of continued employment.
- Must meet standards of initial qualifications at range with department issued firearm, and re- qualify biannually thereafter.
- Must obtain CPR, First Responder, pepper spray (OC) and expandable police baton certifications. Must retain these certifications through department-offered training (or through other approved training at own expense).
- Must successfully complete physical examination (including drug-screening), psychological screening, and background investigation prior to hire. Incumbents may be subject to random drug-screening after hire, with or without advance notice.
- Must be able to complete appropriate police training academy as required by department.
Merrimack college is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates are encouraged to describe in their application previous activities or interests related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date Posted: 10/16/20
Position Code: 0560