Position Description & Responsibilities
The Cognos Report Writer and Data Quality Analyst (CRWDQA) is part of the Office of Institutional Effectiveness team and reports to the Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness, Planning and Sponsored Research. The CRWDQA will be responsible for validating information used for data informed decision making using all tools available to troubleshoot and resolve issues. The position will support the College’s efforts to continuously develop and improve its enterprise reporting architecture, currently built on IBM Cognos and Jenzabar CX.
The successful candidate will provide administration and training resource to allow report development in administrative areas in the Office. The position will also provide data analysis and report authoring support for strategic level efforts. They will work closely with key Information Technology personnel to integrate data from disparate systems within the institutional data store. The person will utilize data management tools, application admin tools and backend databases to ensure the consistency, accuracy and completeness of data provided. They will collaborate with various members of the Office team depending on the data and project.
• Writing and executing Cognos reports
• Resolving data quality problems
• Providing quality assurance oversight of data flows and stores
• Managing data quality documentation
• Monitoring production data to identify data anomalies and executive corrective actions to ensure data integrity
• Working to identify criticality of discovered data inaccuracies
• Developing monitor solutions for data integrity
• Responsibility for completing ad hoc data requests and surveys as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
• Experience with IBM Cognos required
• Experience with higher education SIS required (Experience with Jenzabar CX preferred)
• Familiarity with reporting tools (SPSS, Crystal Reports, etc.) helpful
• Familiarity with SQL programming language
• Experience with data manipulation, aggregation
• Knowledge of higher education practices and procedures
• 1-3 years of experience conducing quantitative and qualitative data research in an applied setting
• 1-2 years of experience working with relational databases
• Demonstrated organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Commitment to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion especially as relevant to institutional effectiveness
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of any sensitive information
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
● Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
● Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/1/20
Position Code: 902