Position Overview: Merrimack College seeks an experienced content creator to research, write and publish various types of content for Merrimack’s website, social media platforms, newsletters and the institution’s quarterly magazine. The content creator will be responsible for developing articles and posts for digital and print mediums that cover school initiatives, faculty, students, community partnerships and alumni. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative storyteller who can craft compelling narratives that engage several different audiences.
- Writes and edits content for the communications department (e.g. articles, brochures, letters, newsletters, speeches, social media) while also being receptive to feedback from others.
- Knowledge of best practices when writing for the web.
- In partnership with the Assistant Vice President, drives content strategy and executes content creation for the following digital and print mediums: The Record (internal newsletter), the Merrimack College Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts, the Merrimack Magazine, the news section of Merrimack.edu, as well as other content vehicles.
- Identifies and determines topics or subjects for various projects.
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of projects. Interviews sources when appropriate.
- Working with the Creative Project Manager, schedules writing assignments and coordinates content creation in order to meet all applicable production deadlines, such as posting to digital accounts, design, printing, distribution, etc. while maintaining flexibility and openness to change projects on-demand.
- Interprets and distills technical industry content and academic material from a wide variety of disciplines or sources to produce written communication pieces for a general audience.
- Creates documents using graphic design (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite and Canva) and word processing software. Determines type(s) of artwork (e.g. illustrations, photos, charts, graphs, design covers) to accompany posts or stories while considering compatibility, content, audience, style, format, intent, etc.
- Interacts with all internal and external sources necessary to successfully complete assignments.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President.
- 3 years minimum field experience.
- Higher Ed experience preferred but not required.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience with writing, editing, proofreading and the preparation of materials for publication.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates are encouraged to describe in their application previous activities or interests related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0844