Position Description & Responsibilities:
The Director of Athletic Giving and The Warrior Fund is responsible for all aspects of current-use fundraising and development operations for Merrimack College’s NCAA Division I Department of Athletics. This individual will report to the Sr. Associate Vice President for Development in the Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR) and will execute a comprehensive athletics annual giving program by utilizing strategic efforts to grow sport-specific, as well as unrestricted giving, under the umbrella of The Warrior Fund. Working closely with ODAR and athletics, this individual will engage with a broad range of constituents including alumni, parents, friends and former student-athletes, in building a supportive community of donors with the intention of meeting/exceeding annual philanthropic and participation goals.
- Create and implement a comprehensive athletics annual giving program using targeted strategies to grow donor participation numbers and philanthropic giving totals.
- Work collaboratively with team members in ODAR and the Department of Athletics to ensure that solicitation and engagement strategies are aligned with the departmental goals of both units.
- Ensure consistent communication with the Associate Athletic Director for External Relations related to fundraising initiatives, special events and communication.
- Serve as primary development liaison to the head coaches. Partner with coaches to leverage their networks and align sport-specific revenue goals with clear solicitation messaging and timely appeals; support coaches in revenue generation and engagement initiatives including special events and alumni functions.
- Identify key opportunities for the athletic director and coaches to engage with athletics leadership level prospects. Collaborate with ODAR to identify major gift prospects for the College.
- In collaboration with ODAR communications team, develop , establish and implement an effective engagement and stewardship plan to thank athletic annual donors in a timely and meaningful way.
- Collaborate with ODAR’s annual giving team to create, segment, and execute a multi-platform, athletics-focused solicitation strategy (email marketing, social media, texting, etc).
- Attend athletic contests and special events throughout the year to engage with and develop relationships with key athletic constituents and prospective donors.
- Support special athletic events, such as the President’s Cup Golf Tournament, aimed at assisting with donor engagement and donor stewardship initiatives.
- Meet and exceed athletics annual giving revenue and participation goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Three or more years of applicable experience in development or sales, preferably in higher education and/or a NCAA Division I athletics department.
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as an institutional priority.
- Familiarity with social media and digital marketing techniques.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills required.
- A proven track record of securing important philanthropic support.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to represent Merrimack and the Warriors in a professional manner.
- Working knowledge of CRM software (i.e. Millennium, Raiser’s Edge, etc.).
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment with a revenue goal.
- Travel and attendance at evening and weekend activities required.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/29/21
Position Code: 351