The Director of Conference and Events position at Merrimack College is an opportunity for an experienced Conference and Events professional to join an incredible community at Merrimack College. The individual will have expert knowledge in the conference and events industry, additionally, will have a strong track record in both team leadership and management. Through strategic oversight of an evolving department, the incumbent will apply innovative business practices to develop policies and procedures that support a fast paced and ambitious institution. We are looking for a candidate who can demonstrate a range from strategic to tactical skills while continuing to build on our high touch, customer service focused culture.
Merrimack College has seen unprecedented growth over the last decade including welcoming its largest freshmen class this fall and embarking on its first year as a Division I institution. This solutions oriented campus partner will play a key role as a trusted resource for the organization and will be integral to the smooth running of logistics and operations across campus.
- Responsible for providing leadership, supervision, and hands on support to the Conference and Events Office and subsequent team
- Manage, execute and provide strategic and operational support to all events and functions taking place on campus
- Oversee the Conference and Events Office budget, policies, procedures and operational initiatives
- Responsible for maintaining and developing relationships across campus with Merrimack community members, vendors, and external visitors to campus
- Coordinate with departments across campus to ensure a smooth and logistically sound experience. These offices include but are not limited to Admission, Athletics, Facilities, The Office of Development and Alumni Relations, Parking, Police Services, President’s Office, Provosts Office, Rogers Center for the Arts, Student Affairs, and Sodexo
- Serve as support lead for college offices planning events
- Design a model that optimizes the use of space on campus by all community members
- Provide a customer service front facing office experience for community members.
- Assist with planning and event management for college offices ranging from scheduling and logistics to catering and rentals.
- Oversight of logistics and coordination
- Develop and implement Conference and Events Office policies and procedures including oversight of EMS software
- Coordinate communication between all departments on campus and offices directly involved in event management including but not limited to; Facilities, the President’s Office and Sodexo
- Customer Service Follow Up
- Ensure quality control for all on campus meetings, functions and events.
- Review and analyze meetings, functions and events to ensure proper follow up and development of improving user experiences across campus with Conference and Events.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience in higher education environment preferred
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in Conference & Events, Hospitality or related field
- Experience with managing a budget and strategic planning
- Knowledge of EMS software or similar scheduling software
- Exceptional organization and time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Solutions focused and oriented
- Team leadership and management proficiency
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.