Position Overview: Merrimack College has seen tremendous growth over the past decade, combining bold ideas and strategic goals to grow the student population and enhance the on-campus experience for all. The Director is a crucial member of the Hamel Counseling leadership team, responsible for assisting the division of Student Affairs develop and implement Counseling’s mission and vision and assisting in the day-to-day management of the Center. The Director provides mental health services, including the provision of short-term individual therapy, group therapy, walk-in services, teletherapy, preventative outreach programming, and participating in the Center’s on-call rotation. Administrative responsibilities include the provision of clinical and administrative supervision to staff therapists and assistance in the management of daily clinical operations.
The Director must demonstrate high levels of cultural competency, be well versed at working with students and staff from a variety of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds, and demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, social justice work. Possessing a thorough understanding of current trends and best practices, as well as a keen sense of innovation that complements the unique character of the College, the Director will work with colleagues across campus, in the North Andover and Andover communities in the Merrimack Valley region, and across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to develop and instill a strong culture of health and wellness that allows Merrimack College students to enhance their capacity to learn and develop lifelong skills for success. The Director will ensure that the Hamel Counseling staff provide effective high-quality care to students; and champion efforts for health and wellness practices that promote personal development and student success. Additionally, the Director is responsible for the Counseling team’s compliance with federal, state, and local health regulations.
- Responsible for provision of comprehensive, accessible quality mental health services to students utilizing a combination of on campus resources and off-campus referrals.
- Recruits, selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates professional staff in counseling services.
- Directs evaluation and provision of training needs and professional development for all counseling staff, including compliance with regulations pertaining to continuing education and licensure.
- Ensures the highest ethical and professional standards in accordance with industry standards.
- Provides either in person or teletherapy services to individuals, groups, or crisis counseling services as needed and serves as a mandated reporter.
- Advocates for and supports the broad student experience by providing appropriate interventions as member of the Behavioral Intervention team.
- Works with the Dean of Students Office to coordinate medical leaves for mental health concerns.
- Maintains all administrative reporting for compliance and the College.
- Helps to facilitate all mental health and wellness trainings on campus for faculty and students.
- Manages, trains, and supervises interns in Hamel Counseling department. Coordinates curriculum/schedule.
- Ability to work with electronic medical record, Medicat, and maintain database for clinical care.
- Serves in the counselor on-call rotation.
- Represents the Hamel Health and Counseling Center in committees and work groups.
- Participate in Student Life campus activities after hours as needed and able.
- Participate in Hamel staff meetings and department meetings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s or doctoral prepared licensed clinician in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Minimum five years of relevant, progressively responsible experience in a leadership or administrative role focused on health and wellness.
- Licensed in appropriate mental health field.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0470