Position Description & Responsibilities
The Director of ESports responsible for providing leadership and supervision for all aspects of the eSports program by recruiting qualified prospective students, developing and implementing effective training sessions and practices, and supporting student-athletes in their development at Merrimack College. This full-time position, reporting to an assigned sports administrator, is responsible for oversight of the ESports team in accordance with appropriate league/conference and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Oversee all aspects of the eSports program, demonstrating effective communication and planning, strong organizational and administrative skills, and sound decision-making.
- Responsible for meeting specified annual enrollment and participation goals by identifying, evaluating and recruiting prospective students to participate as a member of the eSports team.
- Communicate with financial aid relative to prospective student participants.
- Organize, plan and conduct effective and efficient team practices and individual skill instruction sessions with demonstrated ability to teach and instruct.
- Secure competition and communicate game/tournament schedules for pre-approval.
- Responsible for preparing students and the team as a whole for competition.
- Provide input on the design of eSports space and selection of equipment; help ensure maintenance of equipment; and assist in staffing of space as needed.
- Demonstrate sound fiscal responsibility in the management of the department-approved budget for the program.
- Coordinate with the athletic communications office to provide accurate data for game scores as well as individual and team accomplishments.
- Participate in the development of the whole student— regarding individual well-being and life skills.
- Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of team members.
- Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to compliance with all league, conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as trust and mutual respect.
- Participate in departmental activities and meetings as required.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the program as assigned by the sports administrator and/or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- A least one year competitive eSports experience involving multiplayer online video games with team-based elements and expert knowledge
- Experience teaching and developing gaming skills and ability.
- Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student-athletes.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
● Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
● Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 10/20/21
Position Code: 847