Position Description & Responsibilities
The Graduate Office of Admission at Merrimack College is looking for a Director of Graduate Admission and Recruitment. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Marketing and CMO, the Director is responsible for leading all aspects of graduate student recruitment strategies including developing programmatic plans and implementing the graduate admissions counseling system to support annual enrollment goals. This individual will develop data-informed recruiting plans, a comprehensive system for enrollment management from prospective to enrolled student, and will foster an environment focused on excellence in customer service and innovation in the recruiting space.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate exceptional communication skills, knowledge and skills in the area of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and cultural competence. They will have the ability to establish and develop long-term professional relationships with multiple constituencies. The Director must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, target-driven environment.
- Develops, leads and executes strategic, programmatic recruiting plans to support goals – collaborates closely with the graduate marketing team to integrate and align plans and calendars and coordinates with academic program areas;
- Provides exemplary leadership to the graduate admission team by leading, supervising, coaching and managing team members with the goal of creating a culture of excellence in customer service and metric driven decision making;
- Establishes annual work plans for the graduate admission team with measurable outcomes;
- Develops the strategy for and oversees the flow of applications through the admission funnel according to admission best practices as well as according to unique attributes of degree programs; facilitates the graduate admission committee;
- Plans and oversees on/off-campus and virtual event strategy, attends events and represents the College through formal and informal presentations and relationship building to support enrollment goals (graduate fairs, career fairs, school visits, online/virtual events, info sessions/open houses);
- Monitors and analyzes enrollment patterns to refine and improve strategy and tactics and to drive day-to-day work of admission team;
- Identifies key reports and data points to share with internal stakeholders and to track daily operations of admission team;
- Works collaboratively with and advises academic program areas on program admission processes, admission criteria and recruiting events;
- Establishes and oversees recruiting partnership strategy;
- Makes recommendations and keeps informed regarding policies and procedures on graduate admission for compliance and academic standards;
- Manages the scholarship/discount model and awarding process, collaborates with the Office of the Provost on scholarship and fellowship/assistantship models;
- Manages a portfolio of graduate programs and proactively and reactively engage with and counsels students throughout the enrollment funnel by advising, providing information and encouragement throughout through emails, phone calls, text and other methods of engagement;
- Oversees the admission CRM and all operations related to enrollment management;
- Brings innovative ideas and a collaborative perspective to day-to-day work and strategic planning efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 4 years of management and leadership experience resulting in successful achievement of goals;
- At least four years of progressively responsible admission experience including recruitment planning and enrollment funnel management. Graduate-level admission experience preferable;
- Proven track record for making data driven decisions to support goals and arriving at strategic solutions to track to and support goals;
- Evidence of a strong commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, preferably in a higher education setting;
- Experience with strategies to enhance digital recruitment and marketing techniques;
- Proven ability to grasp and apply new technology skills to impact enrollments in a positive manner;
- Knowledge of graduate admission cycle, processes and procedures and proven track record of successfully driving an admissions enrollment cycle;
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment in a pro-active manner and with great attention to detail;
- Expert knowledge of financial aid policies and cycles and creating models for successful yield;
- Ability to work flexible hour, travel to recruitment events and adjust work schedule according to admission cycle and needs of programs;
- Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with students from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, written, oral and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated command of presentation skills to diverse audiences in various settings;
- Ability to think strategically and execute tactically;
- Commitment to delivering excellence in customer service both internally and externally;
- Quality-driven, results-focused approach to work and a strong attention to detail;
- Passion for team-based work with dedication to fostering positive, collegial relationships with key stakeholders such as deans, marketing, leadership and external partners;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with prospective students, parents, school counselors, alumni, colleagues, and members of the Merrimack community;
- Superior written, verbal, and public speaking communication skills;
- Strong multi-tasking, organization, and time management skills;
- Proficiency with a CRM, preferably Slate
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 9/12/21
Position Code: 212