Position Overview: The Director of Sponsored Programs will support and advance the College’s mission by providing leadership and expertise in research administration and ensuring compliance with pertinent laws and regulations. The director will be responsible for promoting and supporting faculty-led research, scholarship and creative activity, including institution-wide initiatives that supports the academic priorities of the Merrimack community. Moreover, s/he will work closely with an increasingly diverse community of faculty, staff and administrators in the administration of varied and growing portfolio of external grants and contracts. This position requires an individual with experience and extensive knowledge regarding federal regulations and other grant and contract related practices, regulations and policies.
- Provide comprehensive support to members of the Merrimack College research community engaged in the preparation and submission of research proposals and the central management of the entire sponsored award portfolio.
- Proactively identify, monitor, and match relevant funding opportunities to faculty and staff.
- Identify funding trends, growing and broadening the portfolio, and playing a leading role in setting the strategic direction for the College.
- Review, edit and approve all grant proposals/applications for submission. Ensure that all submissions forwarded are clear and comply with funding program priorities, including college-wide and external policies.
- Promote collaborative and cross-disciplinary proposals with other departments and Schools across campus and/or partners, as appropriate.
- Oversee the design and implementation of mandated training and certification programs for new and existing principal investigators and grant managers.
- Foster and ensure the highest levels of service to investigators and grant managers.
- Provide guidance and oversight regarding human subject research (IRB), conflict of interest, misconduct of research and financial compliance.
- Assess the need for and lead the development/implementation of grant and contract related policy or procedure changes and serve as the primary liaison with the Office of the Vice President for Finance & Budgets Fiscal Affairs on grant-related accounting matters and financial issues.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus at least 7-8 years of administrative experience in a University or other research setting.
- Demonstrated leadership and success in supporting institutional efforts to secure external funding
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- In-depth knowledge of federal and sponsor regulations governing grant and contract administration, including the Uniform Administrative Requirements for cost principles and audit regulations for federal awards, formerly OMB Circulars A-21, A-110, and A-133.
- Master’s Degree with at least 5 years of administrative experience in a University or other research setting.
- Preferred CRA (Certified Research Administrator).
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills; ability to work under pressure with constantly changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of constituencies; excellent professional written and verbal skill
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.