Position Overview: The Director directly supports the Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations (VP) in managing the flow of work through the office by performing complex and diverse duties. He/She will provide advanced administrative support and coordination for multiple programs and projects. The Director will anticipate and initiate actions relating to office operations which require in-depth knowledge of the office. He/She will interpret and resolve highly varied situations and problems while exercising discretion and independent judgement and will serve as an ambassador for the Office of the Vice President to Merrimack College senior officers, academic leadership, colleagues, and the President’s office and the members of the Board of Trustees. He/She must be able to manage high level issues that require constant care and attention to move towards resolution.
- Anticipates the needs of the VP while multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. Prioritizes matters that require the VP’s attention and assists with developing and executing implementation plans. Acts as a liasion between leadership of the College and the Vice President with diplomacy and discretion while exercising confidentiality as needed.
- Responds to inquiries requiring an in-depth understanding of the mission of Development and Alumni Relations, fundraising operations, and business-related protocol. Uses information from multiple sources to effectively resolve issues.
- Manages VP’s calendar, scheduling, travel, and complex itinerary preparation. Reviews calendar on a daily basis with VP to ensure proper meeting preparation and schedule flow for executive, donor, and prospect meetings. Tracks and manages the VP’s daily to-do list, ensures preparedness for meetings and those time-sensitive tasks are completed, and reviews pending documents with the VP. Prepares expense reports.
- Using multimedia resources, coordinates meetings, led by the VP and prepares agendas, presentations, and meeting materials.
- Assists with VP’s needs related to preparation for Board of Trustee meetings including agenda, presentations and outreach to committee members.
- Partners with the VP and /or senior staff on high-level projecting including strategy, contents, presentation, delivery methods and evaluation.
- Identifies methods and projects to improve department operations and develops and implements action plans to address complex problems.
- Represents the VP in communication with Development and Alumni Relations senior staff and other staff throughout the College. Drafts customized and personal correspondence for VP and as needed, on behalf of the Merrimack College President. Efficiently manages the logistics of the office of the VP and the flow of incoming and outgoing information, including complex written reports and donor correspondence.
- Create a strategy for and execute Presidential stewardship in cooperation with the VP and front-line fundraising team for major donors, alumni and Board of Trustees.
- Composes drafts, edits, and proofreads memoranda, correspondence, and reports from rough draft. Makes editorial changes in materials, including Merrimack College rewriting and independent checking for accuracy of content by referencing to a variety of sources. Initiates or composes correspondence for VP or own signature. Creates mail merges, proofreads/edit materials, and packages, processes, and mails high-level donor correspondence.
- Routinely interacts with top donors, volunteers, alumni, and faculty. Coordinates donor and prospect logistics and donor/prospect meeting plans. Uses discretion and good judgment in all communications, both written and oral.
- Participates in planning logistics for campus visits and events, and either independently or as part of a team, staffs events that potentially involve high-level Merrimack College leadership and donors.
- Maintains a priority database for the VP of the highest level of donors/prospects for her cultivation and solicitation. Maintains updated record of activities in the general donor database. Extracts information from donor database, analyzes data, and presents information in the form of detailed and confidential reports, both customized and standard, on behalf of the VP.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years related experience, preferably in higher education
- Previous project coordination experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet deadlines without compromising quality, in a demanding, high-volume work environment
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Adept with technology, especially those used for communication and project management.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Millennium experience preferred
- Travel may be required.
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.