Position Overview: The division of Finance and Administration at Merrimack College seeks to hire three Divisional Business Officers. As an essential member of the Finance and Administration team, the Divisional Business Officer (DBO) provides leadership for the Divisional Portfolio(s) for financial planning/analysis, budgeting/budget control, accounting, human resources, information technology, procurement and facilities. Additionally, this position analyzes and prepares accurate financial data reports for the Divisional Portfolio. This position directly reports to the Senior VP for Finance and Administration/CFO. This position will also indirectly report to the President, Executive Vice President and Senior Vice President(s)/Vice President(s).
- Management and oversight of Business Unit area budgets – Assist Business Unit leaders in the preparation, tracking, analysis of departmental budgets, and comparison of actuals to budget.
- Perform budget maintenance and control activities – Monitor the Business Unit budgets and make any re-allocation of funds within budgets as needed. Assist division owners in controlling expenditures in accordance with the College policies and goals, and work with them to resolve any budget related issues.
- Reporting and analysis – Provide accurate and timely financial information to the division leaders, analyze trends in expense, and provide ad hoc financial reports as needed.
- Business process and communication – Point person for Business Unit financial matters, monitor financial and budget policies within the Business Unit. Hold budget meetings with Business Unit budget owners on a regular basis (monthly and quarterly) to review budget.
- Perform various tasks such as allocation of budgets to line items, journal entries for budget re-allocations, and analysis of monthly variances.
- Point person for Business Unit procurement, human resources, information technology and facilities matters.
- Special projects and reports as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required (preferably finance, accounting, or business management); Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in an administrative or executive position; preferably in higher education environment.
- Knowledge of databases and spreadsheets, sponsored program activities, accounting principles; competence using management reporting systems; and experience overseeing a variety of accounting transactions.
- Ability to meet timelines, deliverables and exercise good judgment while dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Strong leadership and effective communication skills are a must.
- Strong proficiency in Excel with the ability to write and combine formulas, utilize pivot tables and pivot reporting, conditional formatting, write macros, and generate charts and reports is a must.
- The ability to complete special projects independently.
- Ability to work accurately under time pressure and to handle multiple responsibilities at one time.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.