Position Overview & Responsibilities
Merrimack College is seeking applicants for the position of Master Electrician. The shift for this position is Monday-Friday, 6:30am-3:00pm. Under the direct supervision of the Facilities and Grounds Manager, maintain, replace and upgrade all campus electrical, emergency lighting and fire alarm systems and components to assure safe and reliable system operations. Install, repair distrubtion systems and equipment. Following accepted procedures and techniques of the electrical trade.
- Troubleshoot and repair all electrical, fire alarm and emergency lighting systems.
- Provide recommendations for procedures to improve and/or replace existing systems. Implement procedures for effective operation and enhancement of electrical systems.
- Execute a preventative maintenance schedule for all equipment related to electrical operations.
- Compile and complete inventory of all materials and maintain a well-stocked supply of parts to keep equipment operating with minimal down time.
- Read construction documents/plans/specifications for locating and troubleshooting problem areas. Install new electrical wiring related to HVAC and refrigerant as required. Estimate time and material requirement for various projects and advises superiors for coordination
- Obtain required permits and inspections certificates for Federal, State and Local authorities having jurisdiction for all necessary equipment.
- Ability to follow and complete work orders and preventative maintenance duties and provide updates on the work order status
- Provide emergency response and shift coverage
- Ability to work efficiently, productively, and with minimal supervision
- All other duties as assigned
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Valid Master Electricians License in Massachusetts. 10 years experience – 5 in supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of electrical principles and their application to the maintenance, repair and installation of electric distribution system, devices and electrical generation systems.
- Knowledge of the application and use of testing equipment utilized in checking, testing and analyzing electrical systems such as volt-ammeters, voltage testers, phase and rotation testers millimeters, etc.
- Knowledge of fabrication and installation of materials and equipment required by electrical distribution systems.
- Knowledge of regulatory codes and requirements such as National Electrical codes, NACUBA, and BOCA codes.
- Skill in interpreting schematic drawings and technical specifications.
- Skill normally attributed to a Journeyman Electrician who has completed a recognized Apprenticeship or Vocational Program.
Thirty days after employment employees are required to become a member of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 633. This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 621