Position Description & Responsibilities
The Alumni Events Manager, under the supervision of the Associate Vice President of Alumni Relations, will execute a full schedule of strategic events that support the goals of the Division. The events manager will be a key member of the College’s Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR) team working in close partnership with development, advancement services and alumni relations.
- Work with the AVP to strategize, plan and execute on and off campus events sponsored by the Office of Development & Alumni Relations such as Homecoming Weekend, Campaign cultivation and stewardship events, Regional Alumni Events, Donor Recognition events, Reunion Weekend, and the Alumni Christmas Party. Additionally, the manager will coordinate and execute other special events such as groundbreaking ceremonies, leadership dinners and building dedications in coordination with members of the ODAR team.
- Coordinate all aspects of event planning and production including theme creation, invitations, guest lists, name tags, menus, entertainment, printed and online promotion content, food and beverage, technology needs, transportation, purchase orders and all other related event logistics. Working with the AVP, manage event logistics with all internal and external partners, space requirements, parking, a/v, permits etc. Negotiate and secure vendor contracts, permits and catering rentals.
- Prepare pre and post event analysis and propose new ideas to improve event planning/effectiveness.
- Develop a comprehensive operations plan for events, including a detailed budget, timeline, event briefing and volunteer training.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Reliable and comfortable working in a high energy environment with excellent skills in customer service, project management, initiative, follow-through, attention to detail and collaboration.
- A dedicated commitment to promoting and enhancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and attention to detail Strong computer skills and proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in person, by phone, in writing, and ability to speak with high professionalism.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments with a variety of staff, faculty, volunteers and vendors.
- Self-starter with ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
- Ability to coordinate and delegate the execution of events with highly organized schedules, and communicate with a plan for staff, volunteers and vendors.
- Two-three years of experience in the fundraising and/or marketing field coordinating special events.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 7/13/21
Position Code: 873