Position Overview: First Year Experience (FYE) is a program designed to promote the engagement and retention of first year students, consisting of three major elements: strategic course registration, a mandatory FYE course, and targeted initiatives/programs. The First Year Experience Specialist & Academic Success Coach will support the organization and execution of FYE. S/he will work closely with the Assistant Director and FYE Faculty Co- Chair to coordinate the logistics for FYE. S/he will also work in close collaboration with a variety of campus partners (O’Brien Center for Career Development, Office of Student Involvement, etc.) to promote the success of FYE and the retention of first year students. In addition, as a member of the larger Academic Success Center team, s/he will work as an Academic Success Coach, meeting with individual, at-risk students. S/he will be responsible for outreach to these students and will help the students develop skills such as critical thinking, reading, writing, time management, goal setting, and discipline through one-on-one meetings.
- Help coordinate the day to day operations of FYE (i.e. communications, purchasing, scheduling, student hiring & payroll, etc.)
- Participate in strategic planning for FYE (i.e. assessment, curriculum development, FYE Advisory Board meetings, etc.)
- Manage a caseload of 30+ FYE Instructors and 30+ FYE Mentors (i.e. facilitate check- ins, frequent communications, and trainings)
- Teach at least one section of FYE per semester
- Develop and execute targeted initiatives/programs for first year students
- Participate in strategic course registration for first year students
- Work as an Academic Success Coach, meeting with individual, at-risk students
- Master’s Degree in any field required; Master’s Degree in higher education preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in a similar environment/higher education
- Background in student programming is encouraged
- Proficient computer skills, particularly Google Suites and learning management systems
- Excellent coaching, presentation, and teaching skills
- Strong organizational and verbal/written communications skills
- Able and willing to work some nights and weekends
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.