Position Overview: The Facilities Department at Merrimack College invites applications for a Grounds Laborer position. The shift for this position is Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 am-3:30 pm.
- Maintain campus lawns by irrigating, mowing, edging, hand trimming, fertilizing and using weed control methods. Prepare areas for seed or sod, lay sod and sow seed. Operate riding mowers, rot-tillers, lawn sweepers, hydraulic sprayers, aerators as needed.
- Operate snow removal equipment to remove snow and ice from walks, drives and parking lots. Use hand tools to remove snow and ice from stairs, walks and ramps.
- Maintain athletic fields using appropriate lawn/turf care procedures and equipment.
- Maintain campus trees and shrubs. Operate brush chippers, water tanker with pumps, hydraulic sprayers as needed.
- Plant, maintain, trim, prune hedges and remove litter and other debris which is left on campus.
- Sweep up dirt and debris, clean around trash compactors, and collect trash left on campus.
- Make minor sidewalk and parking lot repairs using hot and cold patch.
- Daily operate dump truck or Kubota to get to and from assigned areas on campus.
- Maintain surface drainage.
- Will be required to properly and safely use cleaning chemicals per manufacturer, and applicable Merrimack College standards.
- Follow applicable legal, professional, and departmental safety policies and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Valid hydraulics and hoisting license strongly preferred or willingness to train upon hire.
- 5 years landscaping experience or equivalent operating heavy equipment such as trucks, tractors, forklifts.
- Ability to read, write and follow oral and written instructions and schedule. Knowledge of and ability to use different hand tools such as shovels, rakes, lawn rollers, saws, pruners, hoses, hand trowels, tamps, hammers, pliers, spading forks and brooms.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate tractors, forklifts, bobcats, hand jacks, brush chippers, rot-tillers, water tanker with pumps, hydraulic sprayers, aerators, lawn sweepers, and dump trucks with plows and salt spreaders.
- Experience driving manual shift-type equipment.
Shift available: Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 am-3:30 pm
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Thirty days after employment employees are required to become a member of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 633. This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.