Position Overview: Under the direction of the AVP, Campus Planning & Facilities or his/her designee, the primary responsibilities of the Grounds Manager are to assign work and supervise the grounds crew and/or contractors in all aspects of grounds and turf maintenance, snow removal, trash services, related equipment and supplies, be responsible for all phases of grounds maintenance; keeping an attractive and safe campus and assisting the college in the development and implementation of a positive work environment.
- Plans, directs, manages, and leads the overall operation of the grounds staff within the Facilities Department to maintain a safe and attractive landscape, including assigning, training and evaluating work for grounds areas owned or operated by the College. Assures compliance with applicable health and safety standards.
- Ensures compliance with applicable rules, laws and policies including those related to stormwater management issued by local municipal commissions.
- Plans, directs, manages and leads all aspects of snow removal procedures including scheduling staff and tasks, maintaining equipment, performing removal, procuring snow melt/salt for ice, coordinating contractors as needed, etc.
- Assesses, develops, implements and evaluates necessary cultural practices for turf and tree care, irrigation, stormwater management and pest management.
- Assists with budget preparation, requisitioning and purchasing of grounds supplies and equipment; controls and authorizes expenditures in accordance with established limitations and purchasing rules, develops contract specifications and scope of work.
- Researches and tests new products, materials, and equipment; ensures data entry and tracking related to computerized maintenance management systems, chemical applications, landscape and irrigation documentation, and related grounds activities.
- Trains and supervises the performance of assigned staff, interviews and recommends potential new employees, reassignments, terminations and disciplinary actions; assures substitute coverage as necessary.
- Communicates with administrators, personnel and outside organizations to coordinate activities, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information.
- Confers with colleagues and others regarding grounds maintenance activities, coordinates and conducts site inspections; recommends actions for improvement as appropriate.
- Provides technical expertise, information and assistance to the College regarding assigned functions; participates in the formulation and development of policies, procedures and programs as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Five years managing/supervising a staff of landscape, grounds, and/or snow removal crew.
- Five years experience with landscape equipment, loading/unloading equipment, snow removal or heavy machinery.
- Must have valid drivers license
- Valid commercial driver’s license.
- Valid hoisting license
- Valid hydraulics license
- Ability to read, write and follow directions from a written schedule.
- Knowledge of and ability to use different hand tools such as shovels, rakes, lawn rollers, saws, pruners, hoses, hand trowels, tamps, hammers, pliers, spading forks and brooms.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate tractors, bobcats, Kubota’ s brush chippers, rot tillers, water tanker with pumps, hydraulic sprayers, aerators, lawn sweepers, and dump trucks with plows and salt spreaders.
- Experience driving manual shift-type equipment such as tractors, fork-lifts, etc.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.