Position Overview: As the head coach of the men’s club rowing program, this individual is responsible for providing leadership and supervision for the men’s club rowing program by recruiting prospective club sport rowers, developing and implementing effective training sessions on and off the water, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting students in their personal, academic and athletic development. As the director of recreational rowing, this individual will build a community-based rowing program at the Merrimack boathouse and will promote and develop rowing at all levels, focusing on excellence in recreation, competition and coaching, and fostering community involvement in the sport of rowing. As the assistant women’s varsity rowing coach, this individual will lead the novice women’s rowing program, recruiting qualified student-athletes to participate as a member of women’s varsity rowing team. This full-time position will report to an assigned sports administrator and work in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC) and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
1. Oversee all aspects of the men’s club rowing program, demonstrating effective communication and planning, strong organizational and administrative skills, sound decision-making, ability to recruit students to meet enrollment goals.
2. Responsible for building the novice women’s rowing program through the recruitment of quality student-athletes to meet specified enrollment goals; includes evaluating talent, communicating with prospective student-athletes and parents/guardians and planning on-campus visits.
3. Organize, plan and conduct effective and efficient team practices and individual skill instruction sessions with demonstrated ability to teach and instruct the sport.
4. Build a meaningful/competitive schedule for the club men’s rowing program and assist with the schedule for the women’s varsity rowing program.
5. Responsible for preparing individual student-athletes and the team for competition.
6. Overall management and execution of the recreational rowing programs and the day-to-day aspects of each program including monitoring volunteers/staff, maintenance and repair, boathouse facility, scheduling, payroll and administration, marketing and community relations.
7. Develop rowing programs for youth and adults that promote sportsmanship, fitness, skills, teamwork, leadership, cooperation and enjoyment through safe and challenging rowing activities.
8. Demonstrate fiscal responsibility, work within assigned budget and create a sound financial model to help fund equipment, programs and operations of the boathouse
9. Build relationships with local high schools, youth/community organizations, business and other constituents to promote and grow rowing participation
10. Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of students/student-athletes who participate on club men’s rowing/novice women’s rowing teams.
11. Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
12. Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to NCAA rules compliance and institutional policies.
13. Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as trust and mutual respect.
14. Participate in departmental activities including staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion training, guest speakers and other events/meetings.
15. Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the program as assigned by the sports administrator and/or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Collegiate coaching and/or rowing experience preferred.
- Experience supporting athletes from underrepresented groups
- Demonstrated success as a rower with appropriate knowledge of the sport and experience teaching and developing skills and ability for all levels of rowers.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines.
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion objectives
- Ability to support students from underrepresented groups
To Apply: Please apply online with a resume and a cover letter.
Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0848