Position Overview & Responsibilities
The Head Men’s Tennis Coach is responsible for running all aspects of an NCAA Division I men’s tennis program by recruiting academically qualified prospective student athletes, developing and implementing training sessions, practices and match strategies, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting student-athletes in their personal, academic and athletic development at Merrimack College. This part-time position, reporting to an assigned sports administrator, is responsible for oversight of the men’s tennis program in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC) and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies. Responsibilities include:
- Supervise all aspects of the men’s tennis program.
- Oversee and manage the recruitment of quality student-athletes, which includes but is not limited to evaluating talent, visiting with prospective student-athletes, planning on campus visits and communicating with the athletic compliance office as needed.
- Determine athletic scholarship allocation for prospective student-athletes working within requirements set and communicated by athletics compliance and/or assigned sports administrator.
- Plan, attend and run effective and efficient practices.
- Schedule indoor and outdoor courts for practices and matches.
- Secure conference and non-conference matches and build a competitive schedule for both traditional (spring) and non-traditional (fall) seasons; communicate contest schedules with designated sport administrators for approval.
- Demonstrate sound fiscal responsibility in the management of the department approved budget for men’s tennis operations.
- Participate in the development of student-athletes, personally, academically and athletically.
- Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Supervise volunteer coach/graduate student coaches when applicable.
- Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to NCAA rules compliance, NEC rules and protocols, and institutional policies.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as trust and mutual respect.
- Participate in departmental activities including staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion training, guest speaker presentations and other events/meetings.
- Act at all times in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the program as assigned by the sports administrator or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated success as a collegiate head men’s tennis coach with appropriate teaching and training skills and knowledge.
- Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student athletes.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines.
- NCAA collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application Materials Should Include:
- CV or Resume
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This opportunity is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 82