Position Overview: The Head Women’s Bowling Coach is responsible for providing leadership and supervision for all aspects of an NCAA Division I women’s bowling program by recruiting academically qualified prospective student-athletes, developing and implementing effective training session, practices and match strategies, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting student-athletes in their personal, academic and athletic development at Merrimack College. This full-time position, reporting to an assigned sports administrator, is responsible for oversight of the women’s bowling program in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC) and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Oversee all aspects of the women’s bowling program, demonstrating effective communication and planning, strong organizational and administrative skills, sound decision-making and visionary leadership.
- Responsible for the recruitment of quality student-athletes to meet specified enrollment goals, which includes evaluating talent, visiting/communicating with prospective student-athletes and parents/guardians, planning on-campus visits and completing the appropriate forms and communication with the athletic compliance office, as needed.
- Determine athletic scholarship allocation for prospective student-athletes, working within requirements set and communicated by athletic administration.
- Organize, plan and conduct effective and efficient team practices and individual skill instruction sessions with demonstrated ability to teach and instruct the sport of bowling.
- Secure non-conference matches and build a competitive schedule; communicate schedule with sports administrator for approval.
- Responsible for preparing individual bowlers and the team for competition; use of video and technology to teach, improve and develop players.
- Demonstrate sound fiscal responsibility in the management of the department-approved budget for the program.
- Participate in the development of the whole student-athlete — athletically, academically and personally, regarding individual well-being and life skills.
- Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
- Build a community of fans and friends, both on and off campus, to support and engage with the women’s bowling program.
- Foster and maintain a culture within the women’s bowling program that demonstrates a commitment to NCAA rules compliance.
- Foster and maintain a culture within the women’s bowling program that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Participate in departmental activities including all-staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion, training, guest speakers and other events/meetings.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the women’s bowling program as assigned by the sports administrator and/or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated success as a competitive bowler with appropriate knowledge of the sport and experience teaching and developing bowling skills and ability.
- Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student athletes.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines.
- NCAA collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion objectives
- Ability to support students from underrepresented groups
- Experience supporting athletes from underrepresented groups
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter.
Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0846