Position Description: The Head Women’s Volleyball Coach is responsible for providing leadership and supervision for all aspects of an NCAA Division I women’s volleyball program by recruiting academically qualified prospective student-athletes, developing and implementing effective training session, practices and match strategies, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting student-athletes in their personal, academic and athletic development at Merrimack College. This full-time position, reporting to an assigned sports administrator, is responsible for oversight of the women’s volleyball program in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC) and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Oversee all aspects of the women’s volleyball program, including, but not limited to planning and supervision of practices, games/matches, management of budgets, control of equipment and supplies, recruiting potential student-athletes, scouting opponents, and supervising coaching staff members.
- Responsible for the recruitment of quality student-athletes, which includes evaluating talent, visiting with prospective student-athletes, planning of on-campus visits and communicating with athletic compliance office as needed.
- Determine athletic scholarship allocation for prospective student-athletes, working within requirements set and communicated by athletic administration.
- Organize, plan and conduct effective and efficient team practices and individual skill instruction sessions during the traditional and non-traditional seasons with demonstrated ability to teach and instruct the sport of volleyball.
- Secure non-conference matches and build a competitive schedule for both traditional and non-traditional seasons; communicate schedule with sports administrator for approval.
- Responsible for preparing the team for competition including scouting opponents, film breakdown, and match strategies.
- Demonstrate sound fiscal responsibility in the management of the department-approved budget for the women’s volleyball program.
- Participate in the development of the whole student-athlete — athletically, academically and personally, regarding individual well-being and life skills.
- Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
- Foster and maintain a culture within the women’s volleyball program that demonstrates commitment to NCAA rules compliance.
- Participate in departmental activities to include attending scheduled mandatory meetings, compliance education training and other events.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the women’s volleyball program as assigned by the sports administrator and/or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated success as a collegiate volleyball coach with appropriate knowledge of the game and experience teaching and developing volleyball skills and ability.
- Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student-athletes.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines.
- NCAA collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.