Position Description: The interim athletic trainer will work alongside staff athletic trainers, team physicians and orthopedic consultants at Merrimack College providing services to the College’s intercollegiate athletic population, as assigned. This individual will be responsible for the prevention, evaluation, management, rehabilitation and documentation of athletic injuries. In addition, the interim athletic trainer responsibilities will include the operation of the athletic training facility and providing athletic healthcare to individual members of assigned sport teams, acting in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC), Hockey East and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
There are two positions available:
Position #1 - (12 weeks)
Position #2 - (12 weeks)
- Onsite care and management of injuries and illnesses including: prevention, evaluation, management and rehabilitation.
- Assess risk of injury, perform ergonomic evaluation and coaching, self-care implementation and overall wellness promotion.
- Electronic documentation of all patient encounters.
- Coordinate and implement injury prevention programs and customized preventative strategies and programs to each patient.
- Minimize risk of injury through awareness, education and prevention strategies.
- Provide accommodation recommendations, related to sport, for student athletes with restrictions or limitations.
- Communicate with physicians and coaching staff regarding the injury status of athletes.
- Carry out medical care for assigned student-athletes per the sports medicine standard operating procedures.
- Oversee 1-2 athletic training graduate fellows; provide mentorship, guidance and leadership as needed.
- Responsible for administrative and other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Athletic trainers must have knowledge of a large range of medical problems.
- Assessment, evaluation skills and working with other healthcare professionals will be required.
- Decision-Making Skills: Ability to think critically and make independent decisions regarding the assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and return to play decisions per state licensure guidelines.
- Attention to Detail: Athletic trainers should be thorough and detailed with injury tracking and documentation.
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to communicate effectively in high stress/pressure situation when talking to patients, medical professionals, staff and families.
- Must have the ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks with little or no supervision.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree, BOC Certified, Massachusetts State Licensure, CPR/AED certification
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree, 3 years of experience as an Athletic Trainer at the collegiate level.
Hours/Travel: Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays is a must. Travel with teams for away contests is required.
Physical Requirements: Lifting 50 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects. Medium strength is required to position patients for examination. May assist patients as needed, helping them on and off the exam table as well as on and off field/court/rink/etc., if needed, due to injury during practice or competition.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume. please indicate preferred position in cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a cover letter, resume and a list of professional references.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.