Position Overview: This position provides a variety of professional, administrative and legal support to the Office of the General Counsel, ensuring the ongoing and efficient operations of the Office, supporting the College as a whole. This position performs as a legal assistant and is responsible for providing professional, executive-level and efficient administrative support to the General Counsel, Associate General Counsel and Director of Compliance/Title IX Coordinator. Additionally, the administrative specialist/legal assistant is responsible for coordinating the attorneys’ review and response to requests for legal services including but not limited to legal review of contracts, records requests, litigation requests, investigations, etc.
- Assist the Associate General Counsel in the day-to-day operations of the Office of the General Counsel.
- Provide administrative support to the Vice President and General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel and the Director of Compliance and Title IX Coordinator. This includes scheduling for, communication with, and clerical support.
- Maintain the Office’s legal matter/contract management and legal document filing systems.
- Monitor the College’s contract review and approval process, ensuring timely responses to requests and maintaining a comprehensive filing system.
- Analyze and prioritize administrative work flow for the Office and coordinate special projects as assigned, including research, preparation and management of various employee training programs.
- Act as a liaison between the Office of the General Counsel and other departments of the College, external attorneys, and organizations.
- Assist the General Counsel/Secretary of the Board of Trustees (BOT) with management and processing of all official Board of Trustees materials, including assuring accuracy of minutes, agenda, resolutions, and other relevant materials for Board consideration.
- Ability to be present and responsible for providing legal and administrative assistance at all official BOT meetings and any meetings convened under special circumstances with respect to the BOT.
- Manage and process confidential information with discretion, and execute the highest level of customer service.
- Assist in the management of litigation holds.
- Archive and organize historical college documents.
- Provide legal assistance and administrative support such as making copies, answering and directing phone calls and greeting clients/employees/students.
- Prepare letters, memoranda, reports, presentations and materials; proofread for accuracy.
- Maintain legal matter/contract management system.
- Maintain Office calendars, coordinate meetings and schedules.
- Make travel arrangements and process travel requisitions.
- Maintain central filing system and office procedures for quick retrieval of documents/ information.
- Monitor and reconcile Office’s budget, prepare reports and ensure budget related documents meet deadlines and compliance guidelines.
- Process purchase requisitions, check requests, invoices and contracts to ensure timely payment.
- Order and maintain inventory of supplies; review invoices to ensure accuracy of service and goods.
- May be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this summary.
- Bachelor’s degree required, three years of administrative office experience within legal environment or five years experience in higher education administration.
- Must be able to interact with many different levels of authority and process confidential materials and information with the highest degree of discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Proficiency with contracts and records management software/tools.
- Demonstrated strong professional demeanor and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must work well under pressure and under deadline.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to multitask.
- Must be able to adjust to changing job requirements and priorities in order to meet dynamic needs and workflow.
- Ability to take initiative and assume responsibility for assigned tasks.
- Excellent customer service skills.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.