Position Overview: The IT department at Merrimack College seeks an intelligent and experienced VoIP and IP Network Engineer with the ability to perform planning and support of our network infrastructure and the institution’s enterprise network solutions. In this role, you will troubleshoot, implement and administer network systems, as well as provide level III network support along with executing and developing network security guidelines. This position reports to the Senior Director of Infrastructure and will act as an escalation point for other team members.
- Design, administer, maintain and support of the availability, performance and security of the network systems that include Routers, Firewalls, Switches, SBCs, PBX platforms, Circuits and servers evidencing strong knowledge of security, switching, and routing technologies
- Interact with other departments to execute project tasks including progress tracking with minimal oversight to deliver network projects in a timely manner.
- Prioritize and resolve trouble/request tickets including immediate escalation for urgent issue resolution.
- Analyze and evaluate network performance and provide solutions to optimize traffic flows, security, and processes.
- Analyze network capacity issues and develop capacity planning models.
- Create and modify security policies on routers, switches, and firewalls.
- Work off hours, nights, and weekends if required.
- Mentor and serve as the escalation point to other team members.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with peers, customers and management in a team environment.
- 5 + years of hands on Network Engineering experience and/or a Degree in Information Systems,
- Computer Science or related industry or equivalent training and experience.
- Cisco CCNP (or equivalent knowledge)
- Proven record of designing, troubleshooting, operating and improving complex higher education enterprise networks, large regional and national carrier-grade SIP VoIP networks and large regional, national, or international Internet backbone or IP service provider access networks
- A thorough understanding and hands-on working knowledge of IP routing and switching, specifically: VRF, OSPF, BGP, route redistribution, Spanning Tree, DSCP MP-BGP, MPLS VPN (VPLS Layer 2, VPRN Layer 3 Option A and B)
- A thorough understanding and hands-on working knowledge of carrier-grade VoIP infrastructure, specifically: Mitel CPS SBC clusters and end point devices.
- Strong hands-on, working knowledge of Cisco routers and switches
- Able to understand and analyze Wireshark results to solve complex SIP, VoIP, and IP internet working challenges.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Proficient in documentation, reporting and knowledge transfer.
- Excellent research, organizational and analytical skills
- Able to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0822