Position Description & Responsibilities
The School of Health Sciences at Merrimack College is seeking an outstanding and highly motivated part-time Nursing Skills Laboratory Instructor to join the Nursing Program in the Fall of 2021. The Nursing Skills Laboratory Instructor works in collaboration with the simulation staff and faculty to facilitate the deliberate practice and assessment of nursing skills by providing and supervising hands-on skills learning experiences in assigned nursing courses. This individual participates in the development, facilitation, and assessment of clinical skills remediation and coaching for those with identified clinical skills deficits. Merrimack College recently opened a state-of-the-art Nursing Center. This space includes 6 simulation labs, 2 classrooms; 2 debrief rooms, 15 faculty offices and 2 large student collaborative spaces. Merrimack College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Merrimack College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across a broad range of social and personal identities and perspectives and a commitment to prepare students to serve a diverse population. We particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented groups.
The Nursing Program seeks to hire a Nursing Skills Laboratory Instructor that will collaborate with Simulation and Program faculty to develop, facilitate, and assess Skills Laboratory activities to support the BSN curriculum.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required, Master’s degree in nursing preferred
- Nursing education experience preferred
- Possess a minimum of three to five years of full-time experience in nursing, or its equivalent, within the last five years
- Evidence of experience in the area of simulation.
- Hold a current unencumbered Massachusetts Registered Nurse license
- Hold current CPR certification for Healthcare Provider
- Knowledge and skills related to teaching adults, teaching methodology, or willingness to plan for acquisition of these skills no later than the first year of teaching.
- Maintains or will obtain CHSE certification from the Society for Simulation in Healthcare within 24 months of employment.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in education, and in
- clinical practice.
- Cultural competence and understanding of health disparities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to interact with and work effectively and collaboratively with diverse groups of faculty, staff, and students.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in education, and in clinical practice.
- Cultural competence and understanding of health disparities.
- Skills in operating a PC and Mac with experience in MS Office and the ability to learn additional software programs, including audiovisual and computerized simulation equipment.
- Physical ability to lift, move, maintain and set up computer, audio-visual and simulation lab equipment weighing up to 25 lbs. without assistance.
- Ability to adapt in a fast-paced and everchanging environment.
- A need for flexibility in scheduling as some evenings and weekends are required.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
• Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
• Resume or Curriculum Vitae
• Contact information for three references
• This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 10/2/21
Position Code: 892