Position Overview: The Nursing Skills Laboratory Instructor works in collaboration with the simulation staff and faculty to facilitate the deliberate practice and assessment of nursing skills by providing and supervising hands-on skills learning experiences in assigned nursing courses. This individual participates in the development, facilitation, and assessment of clinical skills remediation and coaching for those with identified clinical skills deficits. The Nursing Center is a 20, 000 square foot space which includes two classrooms, two dedicated debriefing rooms, and six multi-purpose simulation laboratory spaces. Located in the newly constructed Nursing Center at Merrimack College in N. Andover MA, this center supports the School of Health Science’s Nursing Program. The Nursing Program seeks to hire a Nursing Skills Laboratory Instructor that will collaborate with Simulation and Program faculty to develop, facilitate, and assess Skills Laboratory activities to support the BSN curriculum.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of competencies, and skills laboratory experiences independently and in collaboration with course faculty.
- Instructs and evaluates various skills lab sections throughout the nursing curriculum.
- Provides instructional support to students so they can achieve skill competency and meet course objectives.
- Instructs students who have been referred by faculty for remedial work in skills/critical thinking/clinical reasoning, and communicates student progress.
- Becomes proficient in the use of the various simulators, A/V equipment, inventory management system, and other technologies used in the nursing center.
- Provides resources and support in the achievement of the Nursing Program’s goals and strategic initiatives.
- Collects and maintains clinical and educational simulation data for analysis and research.
- Maintains a welcoming, clean and safe environment for all.
- Engages in service directly related to the Nursing Program, the School of Health Science, and Merrimack College.
- Promotes the mission, objectives and policies of the Nursing Program and Merrimack College.
- Provides the climate, structure and dialogue that promotes learning.
- Establishes a working knowledge of student learning program outcomes and associated leveled competencies, course and class objectives, syllabi, clinical contracts, evaluation tools and student records.
- Supervises and evaluates students in the Nursing Center Simulation setting.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required, Master’s degree in nursing preferred
- Nursing education experience preferred
- Possess a minimum of three to five years of full-time experience in nursing, or its equivalent, within the last five years
- Evidence of experience in the area of simulation.
- Hold a current unencumbered Massachusetts Registered Nurse license
- Hold current CPR certification for Healthcare Provider
- Knowledge and skills related to teaching adults, teaching methodology, or willingness to plan for acquisition of these skills no later than the first year of teaching.
- Maintains or will obtain CHSE certification from the Society for Simulation in Healthcare within 24 months of employment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) to interact with and work effectively with other faculty, staff, and students in a positive, helpful and cooperative working relationship.
- Skills in operating a PC and Mac with experience in MS Office and the ability to learn additional software programs, including audiovisual and computerized simulation equipment.
- Physical ability to lift, move, maintain and set up computer, audio-visual and simulation lab equipment weighing up to 25 lbs. without assistance.
- Ability to adapt in a fast-paced and ever changing environment.
- A need for flexibility in scheduling as some evenings and weekends are required.
- A strong commitment to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion objectives
- Ability to understand and bridge cultural differences and linguistic barriers
- Ability to support students from underrepresented groups
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter.
Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0843