Position Overview: The Dispatcher On Call will provide clerical and technical support to the department by monitoring and operating various radio frequencies, dispatching department and other college personnel calls for service and emergencies and maintaining accurate records and logs of shift activity. The Dispatcher will be responsible for operating several types of computer systems, providing telephone and in-person assistance to the public, and other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain effective and efficient communication between the Police Department, its employees, the public, other college departments and personnel, outside emergency and law enforcement agencies by receiving and dispatching general and emergency information.
- Answers business and emergency phones; including the college’s switchboard outside regular business hours providing information, direction, and services.
- Responsible for a wide variety of in-person services such as issuing parking decals, issuing temporary visitor/parking permits, accepting citation appeals, and signing keys in/out under strict key control policy.
- Operates, with proficiency, several computer systems such as ID card system, card access system, E911 call notification system, CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System), and police computer aided dispatch and report management program.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties to include filing, record-keeping, and lost & found records.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Must be able to obtain CJIS certification (from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts) at hire and retain this certification as a condition of continued employment.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation prior to hire.
- Minimum of a High School Diploma
- Knowledge of police dispatching practices and a willingness to keep self up-to-date on current practices and maintain department-sponsored training
- Proficiency in multi-tasking. Ability to analyze requests for both emergency and non-emergency services and make independent decisions.
- Ability to adjust to changing situations to meet emergency or rapidly changing requirements with sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume. The dispatcher on call must meet a 24 hour a month minimum (shift hours worked or signed up for) and be willing to work their share of holidays, weekends, and overnight shifts.
Merrimack college is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates are encouraged to describe in their application previous activities or interests related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 0376