Position Overview: The Writing Center at Merrimack College seeks a part-time Professional Writing Tutor. Professional Tutors oversee the operation of the Writing Center when the Director and Assistant Director are not present or are performing other duties. Responsibilities include tutoring students (with an emphasis on graduate, STEM, and multilingual populations), supervising Peer Writing Consultants, ensuring visitor data collection during every shift, and assisting with training and evaluation. The position reports to the Assistant Dean of Student Success & Director of the Writing, Tutoring & Math Centers.
- Tutor Merrimack students in writing-related topics, with a particular focus on graduate, STEM, and multilingual populations.
- Supervise and serve as a resource for Writing Consultants on the same shift and provide performance-related feedback to the Director and Assistant Director.
- Ensure that all policies and standards related to academic integrity are adhered to by consultants and clients.
- Ensure that all pertinent data relative to student visits are collected.
- Assist the Director and Assistant Director in staff training.
- Ensure that student visitors are welcomed and assisted in reasonable time.
- Attend to open and closing practices as shifts require.
- Provide reports to the Director and Assistant Director on shift-related issues.
- Assist with day-to-day and evening operations as needed.
Completed master’s or PhD in progress in Rhet/Comp with a demonstrated interest in disciplinary writing and experience/exposure to academic and/or professional writing in some or all of the following fields: business, STEM, education. Graduate coursework in Writing Centers and/or TESOL preferred.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Extra content for contact info or other short notes