Position Overview: The Program Specialist for the Stevens Service Learning Center will enhance the ability of the Center to offer both new and redesigned opportunities for students in a more efficient and effective manner by managing the student matching process and acting as the first point of contact for our students. The Program Specialist manages transportation logistics and other program operations to contribute and allow the Center to focus more specifically on academic and mission driven outcomes. The Specialist places service learning students in the community and develops their skills in their placements while helping to grow the service learning center.
- Matching student needs with meaningful curricular service opportunities at community partner organizations
- Develop and lead orientation and reflection sessions for students engaging in service learning, focusing on student development and success.
- Act as an advisor to the Service Learning Student Advisory Board and identify, develop and oversee student leadership candidates and program.
- Create, implement, and manage promotional and marketing strategies for the Stevens Center, including social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) and newsletters
- Assist the Assistant Director in establishing a new transportation protocol and ensuring successful transportation of students to and from community partner sites. Develop transportation contingency plans due to traffic, inclement weather, college closure etc. With the goal of this task fully transferring to incumbent. Specialist will handle the emergency phone 5:00 pm – 9:00 am, Monday – Friday.
- At the direction of the Director, develop mutual and assessable goals for students engaging in service with community agencies in Andover, Lawrence, Lowell, and North Andover. Recruit community partner organizations to participate in workshops for students and faculty to promote mutually beneficial relationships.
- Collaborate with other offices and departments on campus on civic engagement efforts (for example the Office of Student Involvement, the Office of Residential Life, the Grace J. Palmisano Center for Campus Ministry, and the Office of Community Service and Outreach.) Act as a liaison to the growing Austin Scholars/City of God Program assisting students and faculty with the service component of the program.
- Reporting of student service opportunities, outcomes and other relevant data using MS Access, Excel and Collaboratory
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- 1-3 years of work experience, working in higher education, nonprofit programming, community engagement, or a related field
- Experience with program implementation and evaluation
- Experience with initiating new partnership opportunities and mentoring college students or equivalent experience
- Proven record of accomplishment of establishing and maintaining successful relationships within an organization and with its external partners.
- Demonstrate flexibility in prioritizing tasks and duties
- Ability to be self-directed and act collaboratively in order to achieve departmental and institutional goals.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, administrators and community partners
- Valid driver’s license
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter. This position is subject to the successful completion of a driving record check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.