Position Overview: The Office of Admission at Merrimack College is looking for a highly motivated Senior Admission Counselor. Reporting to the Director of Undergraduate Admission for Transfer Students, the Senior Admission Counselor will be an integral part of the team and responsible for recruiting and enrolling new undergraduate Transfer students. This person will play a key role in developing and implementing a recruitment plan for prospective transfer students as well as a key role in the transfer credit review and maintenance process for incoming transfer students in the undergraduate day program. As a member of the Admission team, the Senior Admission Counselor is expected to actively participate in the myriad of on and off-campus activities designed to recruit, admit, and enroll an entering class that meets institutional goals.
- Provide exceptional customer service, by establishing channels of communication with prospective transfer students to introduce them to and inform them of Merrimack College; facilitate their relationship with the institution throughout the admissions process starting at the inquiry stage through their enrollment at the college.
- Represent Merrimack College by attending college fairs/nights, individual visits to community colleges, group information sessions & workshops for students, parents and transfer advisors.
- Counsel and advise prospective students, their families, transfer advisors and other community members about the transfer admission process, transfer credit options, course selection at non-Merrimack institutions and effectively communicate Merrimack’s value proposition.
- Plan and implement recruitment travel to assigned community colleges and other transfer recruitment opportunities.
- Assist students in the application process through encouragement, answering questions, and providing other advice.
- Read and evaluate transfer student applications for Fall and Spring semester admission and participate in the admission committee that makes admission decisions.
- Develop and maintain a network of transfer advisor contacts. Continue to maintain relationships throughout the year; keeping these contacts apprised of current news about the Merrimack community.
- Assist in the maintenance and quality control of student records, transfer policies and transfer credit records.
- Participate in all Transfer admission and Signature admission events including Transfer Tuesday and Pre-Registration Advising, Academic Preview Days, Open Houses and Admitted Student Days, as well as Welcome Center counselor coverage.
- Share responsibility for meeting institutional enrollment goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Evidence of a strong commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, preferably in a higher education setting
- Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with students and families from diverse backgrounds
- 1 - 3 years’ experience working in higher education, admission & enrollment preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, including nights & weekends, & travel independently for extended periods of time with overnights. Valid U.S. Driving license required
- Superior written, verbal, and public speaking communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with prospective students, parents, school counselors, alumni, colleagues, and members of the Merrimack community
- Strong multi-tasking, organization, and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to thrive in a data-orientated, analytical environment
- Experience with Slate CRM preferred.
To Apply: Please apply with a resume and cover letter.
Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates are encouraged to describe in their application previous activities or interests related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date Posted: 5/3/21
Closing Date: 7/3/21
Position Code: 421