Position Description & Responsibilities
The Admissions Office at Merrimack College is looking for a highly motivated Senior Assistant Director of Admission. The Senior Assistant Director will be an integral part of the team responsible for recruiting and enrolling new undergraduate students. Serving as an advisor to prospective students, their families, secondary school counselors and others, the Senior Assistant Director will effectively communicate Merrimack’s value proposition.
Working under the direction of the Associate Director, the Senior Assistant Director of Admission will also supervise Senior Admission Counselor staff members. The Senior Assistant Director will be responsible for developing and implementing a recruitment plan for an assigned recruitment territory. They should be willing to travel independently and as part of a small team for extended periods of time. As a member of the admissions team, the Senior Assistant Director is also expected to actively participate in the myriad of on and off-campus activities designed to recruit, admit, and enroll a diverse entering class that meets institutional goals.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate exceptional communication skills, knowledge and skills in the area of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and cultural competence. They will have the ability to establish and develop long-term professional relationships with multiple constituencies. The Senior Assistant Director must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, target-driven environment.
- Provide exemplary leadership in the supervision of Senior Admission Counselors, who are directly responsible for the recruitment and application evaluation for domestic first-year recruitment
- Represent Merrimack College to prospective students and their families by attending college fairs/nights and individual visits to high schools, in addition to conducting on-campus group information sessions for students, parents and guidance counselors
- Establish channels of communication with prospective students to introduce them to and inform them of Merrimack College; facilitate their relationship with the institution throughout the admissions process starting at the inquiry stage through their enrollment at the college
- Plan and implement recruitment travel in assigned geographic territories
- Assist students in the application process through encouragement, answering questions, and providing other advice
- Read and evaluate applications for admission and participate in the admission committee that makes admission decisions
- Develop and maintain a network of school and education counselor contacts. Continue to maintain relationships throughout the year; keeping these contacts apprised of current news about the Merrimack community
- Participate in all signature admission events including Academic Preview Day, Open House and Admitted Student Day, as well as Welcome Center counselor coverage
- Share responsibility for meeting institutional enrollment goals
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity,and Inclusion, preferably in a higher education setting
- Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with
- students and families from diverse backgrounds
- 3-5 years’ experience working in higher education, admission & enrollment preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, including nights,weekends, & travel independently for extended periods of time with overnights. Valid U.S. Driving license required
- Superior written, verbal, and public speaking communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with prospective students, parents, school counselors, alumni, colleagues, and members of the Merrimack community
- Strong multi-tasking, organization, and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to thrive in a data-orientated, analytical environment
- Experience with Slate CRM preferred.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 8/24/21
Position Code: 531