Position Overview & Responsibilities
The Senior Benefits Manager is the subject matter expert on health and welfare benefits as well as retirement benefits, and works as an integral member of the Human Resources team to provide effective HR support and service throughout the College. The Senior Benefits Manager manages the operations and development of all benefit plans, including enrollment, education, issue resolution and acting as a liaison between employees and external partners.
• Manage the operation and development of all benefit plans for the College, including: medical, dental, FSA, HRA, vision, life, AD&D, COBRA, short and long term disability, retirement, legal plan, EAP and tuition benefits. Ensure benefits plans are competitive and relevant.
• Manage relationships with vendors for all benefit plans, coordinating with internal committees and external partners to ensure smooth processes.
• Reconcile and process benefit plan bills for payment.
• Process claims as necessary. Resolve benefit claims issues raised by employees and vendors.
• Present benefits orientation to new hires and answer benefits and HR-related questions in a timely manner.
• Maintain fiduciary responsibility for retirement plan amendments, RPAC and approval of predecessor service. Act as retirement plan audit contact, answering audit questions, supplying data and enrollment information as needed.
• Manage annual ACA compliance and 1095 generation.
• Manage all employee leaves of absence including Massachusetts PFML, FMLA, college leaves and disability leaves.
• Coordinate with Payroll on benefits and leave matters, payroll audits, HRIS benefits set up and related subjects.
• Provide back end system set up for benefit rates, vendors and eligibility.
• Commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion best practices, especially in higher education
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Strong interpersonal skills. Strong professional judgment. Attention to detail and
• Proficiency in MS Office and ADP.
• 5-7 years of experience in benefits administration.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for 3 references
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 12/8/21
Position Code: 304