Position Description & Responsibilities
Merrimack College seeks an experienced communications director to support the office of the President and work closely with campus leaders in the Provost Office and the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. The senior director will strategize, write and edit content for regularly published newsletters, the college’s quarterly magazine, Merrimack’s website, and other publications. The senior director will be also responsible for drafting speeches and public statements and for developing articles and posts for digital and print mediums to promote the college’s strategic initiatives.
● Write and edit content for the offices of the President, the Provost and Development and Alumni Relations (e.g. articles, brochures, letters, newsletters, speeches, social media)
● Solicit content, edit and design regularly published newsletters for the President, Provost and Development and Alumni Relations offices
● Collaborate with leaders in the three offices on developing marketing materials to promote such strategic initiatives as the college’s five year strategic plan, “The Agenda for the Future,” diversity, equity and inclusion, civic and community engagement, the college’s 75 anniversary and comprehensive capital campaign
● Provide strategy and project management to ensure projects are compelling and completed on target.
● Work closely with vendors to manage design, printing, etc.
● Draft and edit compelling speeches and programs that present Merrimack College in the most effective manner
● Work closely with central communications and other campus offices to ensure messaging is consistent and relevant.
● Monitor and provide input on all social media platforms.
● Other duties as assigned.
● BA in Communications, Journalism, Media Studies or another relevant field requires; MA in a relevant field preferred
● At least 3 years professional experience, preferably in a higher education setting
● Excellent writing and editing skills, including demonstrated experience with writing, editing, proofreading and the preparation of materials for publication.
● Strong interpersonal communication skills
● A strong commitment to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Demonstrated experience in writing for both internal and external audiences
● Knowledge of best practices in web presence and design, social media outreach, and accessible communication
● Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and remain calm under stress
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and integrity
● Proficiency in Spanish highly desired
Statement on Our Mission:
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue. Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
● Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
● Resume or Curriculum Vitae
● A short writing sample or publication
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations and Remote Work:
This is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/23/21
Position Code: 916