Position Description & Responsibilities
The Senior HR Generalist works as an integral member of the Human Resources team to coordinate the daily functions of the Human Resources department including areas of onboarding, hiring, background checks, off boarding, employment data/reporting, training and interpreting HR organizational policies and practices. This position provides support to employees and divisional business officers for Academic Affairs and Administration/Operations related to recruitment, staffing, training and employee relations. The Senior HR Generalist will support the future objectives, vision and mission of the institution and will provide excellent customer service through recruitment and employment support, and general HR services.
- Support HR Executive Director and HR staff on department efforts to deliver a high level of customer service to faculty, administration and staff at the college.
- Support College’s recruitment initiatives by managing applicant tracking systems (ADP Workforce Now, Academic Jobs Online), researching and implementing innovative sourcing strategies, and creating efficiencies to align with growth of the college and needs of departments.
- Provide advice, support and feedback to divisional business officers on talent acquisition, and to managers on performance management activities.
- Ensure legal compliance throughout recruitment and staffing processes, and ensure administrative procedures are appropriately followed. In collaboration with the HR Executive Director and Office of the General Counsel, ensure legal compliance is followed in all employee matters throughout their employment.
- 5 Facilitate job postings for the college including staff, faculty and adjunct positions. Create offer letters and communicate with divisional business officers through execution to ensure seamless candidate experience. Develop and maintain relationships with recruitment staffing agencies to fill temporary and specialized roles on an as needed basis.
- Using technology and coordinating with divisional business officers, ensure effective onboarding for all new employees. May have ownership for and present portions of new hire orientation meetings.
- Manage human resources offboarding to ensure completion of internal processes including communication to payroll; track all terminations and consult with divisional business officers and departing employees to ensure timely completion of termination procedures.
- Support the Budget office in managing the position control identification numbers to each position in the pipeline and regularly reconciling changes.
- Lead all aspects of background screening, including communications and relationship management with background check vendors. Communicate status on background checks to appropriate parties to ensure positive client and candidate experiences.
- In coordination with Budget office and divisional business officers, refine/develop and maintain department dashboards such as weekly hiring reports and termination reports. Assist HRIS Operations with ADP regular maintenance, employee data auditing and report writing.
- Develop and manage the college’s volunteer report for tracking all approved campus volunteers.
- Actively participate in HR project work and other assignments as needed, such as developing department policies and procedures, onboarding procedures, faculty contracts, process improvement initiatives and implementing employee development workshops and seminars.
- Support HR Benefits Specialist in administering tuition remission and tuition exchange forms and related information.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree Preferred
- 3 to 5 years of HR experience.
- SHRM preferred.
- High level of customer service, attention to detail and follow through, intermediate proficiency in use of Excel and Word, HRIS skills. Ability to work effectively with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple and sometimes competing or conflicting priorities from faculty, staff and administrators.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now and the Google Suite and the Adobe suite.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Position Code: 939