Position Overview & Responsibilities
We are looking for an intelligent, motivated and experienced Senior Systems Engineer with the ability to perform planning and support of our server and network infrastructure and the institution’s enterprise network solutions. In this role, you will troubleshoot, implement and administer server and network systems, as well as provide level III network support along with executing and developing security guidelines. This position reports to the Director of Infrastructure and will act as an escalation point for other team members. Responsibilities include:
- Design, deploy, maintain and support day-to-day operations of the college’s server and network systems. Demonstrate a strong knowledge of security, server, operating system, network switching and firewall technologies and best practices.
- Maintain security first mindset in all aspects including permissions, vulnerability assessment and mitigation, backup, and redundancy strategies.
- Implementation and day-to-day management of virtualization platforms (VMware, HyperV).
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools.
- Manage major administrative systems for the college including Active Directory, Zoom,Adobe Sign, Microsoft Azure and Google G-Suite.
- Creation and management of user accounts, groups, policies within Active Directory and implementation of applications within Azure AD (SSO).
- Monitor and test network, system and application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions and optimizations.
- Oversee the day-to-day health of the college’s VoIP infrastructure, with a focus on ensuring stability, capacity, organizational productivity and quality of service.
- Interact with other departments to execute project tasks including progress tracking with minimal oversight to deliver projects in a timely manner.
- Closely work with vendors on projects and maintenance of IT infrastructure systems.
- Create and maintain network and system documentation and diagrams (ie. Visio).
- Prioritize, troubleshoot and resolve issues and trouble tickets and provide level 2/3 support.
- Mentor and serve as an escalation point to other team members.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with peers, customers and management in a team environment.
- An ability to work off hours, nights, and weekends in the case of system outages or planned projects when required is a must.
- 5 + years of hands on System Engineering experience and/or a Degree in Information Systems, ComputerScience or related industry or equivalent training and experience.
- VMware and Microsoft certifications a plus.
- In depth knowledge of virtualization technologies including HCI, VMware vSphere, ESXi, and Hyper-Vand the ability to support them.
- Strong ability to configure and support Windows Server OS, and Active Directory.
- Hands-on, working knowledge of Cisco routers and switches, wireless deployments and VOIP.
- Ability to configure and support network functions including LAN/WAN/WLAN networking, switching, routing, firewalls, VLANS, VPN, DHCP, DNS. etc.
- Ability to keep up and quickly learn new technologies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Proficient in documentation, reporting and knowledge transfer.
- Excellent research, organizational and analytical skills.
- Able to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
- Proven record of designing, troubleshooting, operating and improving complex higher education enterprise systems and networks.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 311