Position Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Admission Counselor for Visitor Services & Ambassador Program is an integral part of the Welcome Center team and responsible for overseeing all aspects of student supervision. S/he will manage the Merrimack Ambassador Program, Graduate Fellows and other student interns in the Welcome Center.
The Senior Admission Counselor for Visitor Services & Ambassador Program works with the Merrimack Ambassador Program through all stages of program organization. This includes: program development and improvement, hiring and training focusing an emphasis on diversity equity and inclusion, administrative support and payroll, as well as implementing structural and hierarchy changes for the program. All activities of this position and the Merrimack Ambassador Program are intended to support and enhance the work conducted by the Office of Admission as a whole.
In addition this person works with visitors through every stage of the campus visit process and is expected to actively participate in the strategy designed to recruit, admit, and enroll an entering class that meets institutional goals. The Senior Admission Counselor for Visitor Services & Ambassador Program provides excellent customer service to visitors and is responsible for keeping the visit experience on brand with the mission and vision of Merrimack College. This person will present on average 4-5 weekly admission information sessions and conduct prospective student interviews on a rolling application basis.
This position works closely with the Associate Director of Admission for Visitor Services & Events along with other members of the Welcome Center team to provide quality customer service and innovative campus programming.
- Present on average 4-5 weekly admission information sessions to prospective students and families.
- Oversee the Merrimack Ambassador Program & Admission Graduate Fellows, which includes hiring, training and evaluating approximately 80+ student Ambassadors during the school year, and summer to provide adequate office coverage.
- Successfully grow and yield the program through creative and innovative recruitment methods, whilst managing a successful structural hierarchy.
- Conduct informational monthly meetings, training sessions, onboarding exercises, student development along with managing all Ambassador payroll & budget expenses.
- Maintain excellent organizational skills to ensure clear and consistent messaging to the Ambassadors and Welcome Center staff.
- Manage all aspects of the Campus Tour including route planning for both daily visits and large scale events. Coordinate with campus offices to ensure the tour route is well maintained and updated often.
- Assist in event execution for recruitment and yield events on campus to ensure these events meet high standards, this would include Open Houses, Admitted Student Days and other events.
- Participate in all signature admission events including both on-campus and virtual events.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Admission for Visitor Services & Events and other members of the Welcome Center staff to continually identify areas to enhance a high quality visit experience. Actively participate in the development and implementation stages of new enhancements.
- Master’s Degree required
- Evidence of a strong commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with students and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Superior written, verbal, and public speaking communication skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, organization, and time management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with prospective students, parents, school counselors, alumni, colleagues, and members of the Merrimack community.
- Ability to thrive in a data-orientated, analytical environment. Experience with Slate CRM preferred.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed at various times throughout the year is required.
- Demonstrated evidence as a self-starter that continually strives to improve processes, communication, and team effectiveness.
Statement on Our Mission:
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application
previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 10/26/21
Position Code: 901