Position Description & Responsibilities
The Student Financial Services Specialist plays an integral role in the success of the Student Financial Services Office. The Student Financial Services Specialist is a face and voice to this office, providing front line customer service to families, students, and colleagues and overall administrative support in the daily operation of the Student Financial Services Office.
Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
● Serve as a first line of contact for the Student Financial Services Office by greeting and assisting students and families with inquiries about their accounts, including but not limited to payments, holds, scholarships, loans, and refunds.
● Answer incoming telephone calls and provide overall assistance with billing and financial aid inquiries.
● Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with students and families from diverse backgrounds.
● Record all telephone, email, and walk-in into the financial aid and/or billing system. Transcribe and return voicemail messages.
● Make decisions on a case-by-case basis with regard to students’ eligibility to register and the waiving of late fees and make referrals as needed.
● Respond to incoming email inquiries and/or forward inquiries to the appropriate office.
● Assist with mail processing, distribution, and fulfilment.
● Advise students and parents as well as on/off campus constituencies about financial aid opportunities, application process, and required forms/deadlines.
● Notify and request required documentation from students for file completion and aid eligibility determination.
● Performs cashiering functions including verification of amounts received, providing receipts to individuals submitting funds, identifying different types of transactions, station settlement and preparation of bank deposits.
● Assist with outreach to current students about past due balances and/or billing issues.
● Provide office management support in the areas of filing, inventory, facilities maintenance requests.
● Represent the Student Financial Services Office at Signature admission/college events, as needed.
● Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed at various times throughout the year.
● Perform other job-related duties or projects, as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience
● 1-3 years experience with a university Financial Management system, PowerFAIDS preferred.
● Demonstrated commitment to and ability to apply experience with diversity, equity to financial aid and college success.
● Strong customer service skills.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
● Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with students, parents, faculty, staff, and outside agencies and organizations.
● Proficient in MS Office and Google Suite.
● Quick learner and willingness to learn about federal Title IV, Massachusetts state, and institutional aid regulations and procedures to ensure compliance.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/24/21
Position Code: 917