Position Overview: Merrimack College seeks an experienced editor and writer to serve as the managing editor of the college’s internal newsletter, Merrimack.edu and quarterly magazine in addition to being responsible for developing articles about school initiatives, faculty, students, community partnerships and alumni. This person will also assist with social media development. In addition, the writer will work with web editors across campus to produce and refine content for the merrimack.edu website as well as write copy for campus-wide e-communications. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative storyteller who can craft compelling narratives that engage several different audiences.
- Writes and edits documents for the communications department (e.g. articles, books, brochures, letters, newsletters, web content, speeches).
- In partnership with the Vice President, drives content strategy and executes content creation for the following publications: The Record (internal newsletter), the Merrimack Magazine, the news section of Merrimack.edu, print collateral requested by the campus community, social media, as well as other content vehicles.
- Researches, verifies, reads, proofs, edits and rewrites copy submitted by staff writers. Ensures accuracy and completeness of projects. Interviews sources when appropriate.
- Working with the Creative Project Manager, schedules writing assignments and coordinates content creation in order to meet all applicable production deadlines, such as design, typesetting, layout, paste-up, printing, binding, distribution, etc.
- Interprets and distills technical industry content and academic material from a wide variety of disciplines or sources to produce written communication pieces for a general audience.
- Oversees editorial writing quality for the school’s website. Working with web editors across campus, write content for academic and administrative pages comprising the merrimack.edu website.
- Interacts with all internal and external sources necessary to successfully complete assignments.
- Attend and report on events during evening and weekend hours.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, public relations, journalism or a similar field.
- Formal training in use of desktop and e-newsletter publishing software, as well as content management systems.
- 2-3 years’ professional writing experience for a newspaper, magazine or website.
- Higher education experience preferred but not required.
- Experience in search engine optimization.
- Strong reporting, writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple short-term and long-term projects.
- Ability to produce high-quality writing on tight deadlines.
- Mastery of AP style.
- Demonstrated ability to work across departments in customer-service capacity.
- Self-starter with ability to ferret out interesting and newsworthy stories.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.