Bomb threats are not rare occurrences; however, history has shown that the majority of bomb threats are false. Nonetheless, all threats must be considered real.
Receiving a Bomb Threat
The person receiving a bomb threat should obtain as much information as possible from the caller, using this Bomb Threat Checklist.
Allow proper authorities to make evacuation decisions. Do not evacuate until directed to do so.
If directed to evacuate, use the route specified by police personnel. (Police officers will do all that is practicable to ensure a route is safe prior to providing notice to evacuate).
- The person receiving a bomb threat should obtain as much information as possible from the caller, using the Bomb Threat Checklist.
- If a bomb threat is received by telephone, keep the caller talking as long as possible. Do not hang up the telephone. Go to another extension and report the bomb threat.
- Documents (including envelopes) containing a threat should be turned over to the Merrimack College Police Department.
- Ensure that all cell phones are turned off since cell phones have been utilized to detonate explosive devices.
Suspicious Object or Potential Bomb
- Do not touch any object that has been identified as, or that you may suspect to be, an explosive device.
- Do not open drawers or cabinets, or turn lights on or off, as these may be used to trigger an explosive device.
- Evacuate the area surrounding the object and send someone to call the Police Department.
- Do not activate the fire alarm.
- Do not use any mobile device in the area of the potential bomb.
- Provide the exact location and description of the object and keep under observation from a safe distance to ensure that it is not approached by someone else.
When evacuation is ordered, direct evacuees to a safe area as far from the building as is reasonably practical.
- Once the building has been evacuated, the police department will assemble a search team and coordinate the bomb search.
- Do not allow anyone to re-enter the building until cleared to do so.
Number for All Emergencies