Smoke and Fire
In the event of smoke or fire, follow these procedures:
- Immediately activate the fire alarm and initiate evacuation of the building.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS WHEN EVACUATING.
- Staff and faculty members should take charge of people in their immediate area and direct them out of the building via the nearest safe, unblocked exit. Take your class roster to account for students.
- Close doors as you evacuate.
- Go to a safe place and call ext. 5911 or 978-837-5911. Give the exact location of the smoke or fire (building, room number, etc.). Do not hang up until told to do so.
- Police officers will respond to your location to assist with evacuation as well as direct the fire department to the scene.
- Do not allow anyone to re-enter a building after it has been evacuated.
- Do not allow evacuees to congregate close to the building or in areas that might impede access by emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Ensure that evacuees remain safe until the “all clear” is given.
- All response to fire alarms will follow this protocol regardless of suspicion of, or knowledge that a fire alarm is false.
Number for All Emergencies