The Promise Program
Promise offers students an engaged community for learning, providing opportunities to acquire the skills and networks you need for success during your first year and beyond.
An Ally for Your Merrimack Journey
As a Promise student, you’ll work directly with an academic success coach who will serve as your guide to support you on a variety of topics, including time management, major exploration, academic skills, such as note-taking and critical reading, and referring you to other campus resources as needed.
Connecting with a Coach
Our current students tell us they appreciate their coaching relationship because it is individualized, and they know their coach cares about them as a student and as a person. You can expect to connect with your coach regularly during your first year. In addition to your assigned coach, you will also engage with our upper-class student peer leaders and our extended coaching team. You will continue to have access to Promise support and community through graduation.
Additional Features of Promise
There is so much that Promise has to offer you, including:
- Mentoring from upper-class Promise peer leaders
- Individualized referrals to other campus resources
- Tailored First-Year Experience (FYE) sections
- Promise-specific course opportunities
- Optional one-credit topics’ courses on leadership, academic skills and strengths-development
The mission of the Promise Program is to cultivate a community of care that provides our students with guidance and tools that enhance opportunities for academic and personal success.
- We work to assist you in discovering your talents and developing them into strengths.
- You’ll build connections with resources and opportunities that will empower you to develop your advocacy skills as you fully integrate into the Merrimack community.
- You’ll establish a foundation that enables you to move through Merrimack and beyond with passion and purpose.
Our Learning Goals
Promise’s learning goals include helping you:
Make connections to develop your own network of success.
You’ll establish relationships with success coaches, peer leaders, fellow students, FYE facilitators and mentors and faculty within Promise. You’ll engage in co-curricular opportunities, academic support and wellness resources with faculty and peers beyond Promise. And you’ll maintain connections with family, peers, educators, and your home community.
Learn how to navigate Merrimack College.
Promise will provide you with a better understanding of the academic landscape and expectations at college. You’ll enhance your ability to self-advocate for your success while you explore campus opportunities of interest.
Implement strategies to become a successful college student.
- You’ll explore degree and career opportunities.
- You’ll apply your individualized strengths to your academic and co-curricular experience.
- You’ll identify and apply your learning preferences.
- You’ll explore sources of motivation and effort, and how they connect to success in college.