The Promise Program:
An Ally for Your Merrimack Journey
Promise offers students an engaged community for learning, providing opportunities to acquire the skills and networks needed for success during the first year and beyond.
All Promise students work directly with an Academic Success Coach, who is a guide that can support students on a variety of topics, including time management, major exploration, academic skills such as note taking and critical reading, and referring students to other campus resources as needed. Our current students tell us they appreciate their coaching relationship because it is individualized, and they know their coach cares about them as a student and as a person. Promise students can expect to connect with their coach regularly during their first year. Students have access to a Promise Coach through graduation.
Additional features of Promise include:
- Mentoring from upper-class Promise Peer Leaders
- Individualized referrals to other campus resources
- Early course registration for the first year spring semester
- Tailored First Year Experience sections
- Promise-specific course opportunities
- Optional one-credit topics courses on leadership, academic skills, and strengths-development
90% of Promise students who entered in Fall 2018 returned for their second year