Secure Testing Using Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom web browser designed to prevent students from accessing unauthorized resources during online assessments. It is primarily used in educational institutions, particularly in online or blended learning environments, to maintain exam integrity and ensure a level playing field for all students.
When using Respondus LockDown Browser, students are required to launch their exams or assessments within the secure browser instead of a regular web browser like Chrome or Firefox.
Types of Restrictions
Once the browser is launched, it restricts students from performing various actions that could compromise the integrity of the assessment. These restrictions may include:
- Disabling copying and pasting: Students are unable to copy and paste text within or outside the browser, preventing them from copying questions, answers, or any other unauthorized content.
- Disabling printing: Printing options are disabled to prevent students from printing exam questions or other materials.
- Disabling accessing other applications: The browser restricts access to other applications or programs on the computer, preventing students from opening external resources or communication tools.
- Disabling navigation to external websites: Students are unable to navigate to external websites or search for information online during the exam.
- Locking down browser features: The browser may disable right-clicking, bookmarking, or accessing browser settings to prevent students from accessing unauthorized functions or resources.
Canvas Integration & Maintaining Integrity
Respondus LockDown Browser integrates with Canvas and while it helps deter cheating during exams, it is not foolproof and may not completely eliminate all possibilities of academic dishonesty. Instructors should consider a combination of strategies – including clear exam instructions, diverse question types and proctoring methods – to maintain the integrity of online assessments.
Quick Start Guides
Introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser for Students
LockDown Browser: The Student Experience
For even more information on Respondus LockDown Browser, visit the Respondus website at https://web.respondus.com/he/lockdownbrowser.