Valuable Hands-On Experience
The Master of Education in Higher Education Fellowship links graduate study with a nine-month field-based professional experience in a post-secondary institution.
Tuition-Free Higher Education Fellowship
Fellows prepare to become highly effective educational, administrative and professional leaders in colleges or universities and work in a variety of roles supporting the advancement of higher education.
Our highly sought-after, full-tuition fellowships offer you unparalleled professional experiences and the peace of mind that comes with knowing you’ve significantly reduced the cost of your graduate degree. With the guidance of experienced site-based supervisors and program faculty, you’ll have the support you need to excel in your field placement and in your graduate studies.
Important Dates for the 2020-2021 Higher Education Fellowship Program
- Priority Application Deadline*: December 10, 2020
- Interview Day (tentative): February 2021
- Summer Orientation: June 2021
- Courses Begin: Summer II, July 2021 (optional electives in Summer I, beginning May)
- Fellowship Placement Begins: mid-August 2021
*Applications for the 2021-2022 fellowship will be reviewed on a rolling basis for fellowship positions until all positions are filled.
How it Works
If you’re selected for our prestigious full-tuition M.Ed. fellowship, you will:
- Complete a nine-month field-based experience in a partner school, college, or community-based organization
- Serve 25 hours a week at your placement site while taking graduate courses in the summer and on afternoons and evenings throughout the academic year
- Earn your 36-credit M.Ed. in Higher Education in one year - tuition free.
Rooted in social justice, our program deepens your understanding of current educational trends and challenges, and prepares you to pursue a leadership role within all segments of higher education. You’ll gain a broad understanding of current trends, leadership challenges, and opportunities to advance social justice in higher education.
Our curriculum focuses on learning and development of college students, college access, equity and diversity, and organizational development. Working side-by-side with skilled professionals, you’ll develop leadership skills, organizational skills, and your own unique vision for how you can best contribute to the advancement of colleges and universities.
All students take a set of core courses, choose one of two concentrations, perform professional experience and complete a research project as their capstone experience. To further facilitate your success, a wide range of professional development opportunities are provided and a range of resources and support are available to you.
Where You’ll Get Your Professional Experience
Our Higher Education fellows have placed in positions such as:
- The School of Education and Social Policy, Merrimack College
- Office of Residential Life, Merrimack College
- Office of Student Involvement, Merrimack College
- O’Brien Center for Student Success, Merrimack College
- Stevens Service Learning Center, Merrimack College
- Multicultural Affairs Office, Middlesex Community College
- Career Development Office, Northern Essex Community College
You’ll find Merrimack graduates making a difference in prestigious jobs such as:
- Associate Director of Admissions, American University of Antigua
- Coordinator of Career and Mentor Programs, Fitchburg State University
- Associate Alumni Director, Merrimack College