Welcome to the Department of Biology
Merrimack’s biology major allows you to explore your interests and provides a comprehensive and hands-on education in the life sciences.
The biology program offers students a wide range of opportunities to explore biology in a student-centered environment. We are a growing and dynamic department preparing students to successfully meet the challenges and opportunities in the life sciences. Our vision is to offer a nationally recognized undergraduate program in biology within the context of a strong liberal arts education.
The department of biology provides a comprehensive, interdisciplinary education offering breadth and depth of study in the biological sciences, including cellular and molecular biology, biotechnology, genetics, physiology, organismal biology, ecology, behavior and evolution. The curriculum emphasizes the process of science through inquiry-based experiential learning and accomplishment in laboratory and field courses, faculty-mentored research and a host of co-curricular opportunities. Studies will lead to a Bachelor of Science (BS.), a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a minor in biology.
The biology major offers the option of program concentrations for students interested in cell and molecular biology and biotechnology; integrative biology (including pre-med, pre-veterinary and pre-dental programs; and ecology and behavioral biology. Students may also customize their own concentration by grouping any five upper-level classes of their choosing.
- Cell and Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Integrative Biology (including Pre-Med/Pre-Dent/Pre-Vet)
- Ecology and Behavioral Biology
Compare the two degrees offered by the Department of Biology:
Students also have the opportunity to minor in a field that complements their studies in biology, such as chemistry, mathematics, computer science, psychology, sociology, environmental studies and sustainability, or business. Individual advisement assists students with course selection, course sequencing and career planning.
Come and Explore ‘Life’ at Merrimack
The Department of Biology offers:
- A strong inquiry-based curriculum with breadth and depth in the life sciences and with multidisciplinary support in chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Outstanding faculty with expertise in research, real-world applications, publications and education across the spectrum of biology.
- Small classes, especially in labs and upper-level courses, where students get to know their professors personally in their multiple roles as teachers, research mentors, academic advisers and mentors and life-long colleagues.
- Real-world application of knowledge and skills obtained from course work and in many experiential learning opportunities. Student can also develop new knowledge bases and skill sets in the life sciences.
- High quality curricular and co-curricular options including the HHMI SEA PHAGES global research consortium integrated into the freshman and sophomore labs; directed study/research; internships; global field studies; the marine studies consortium; study abroad; summer research; and a campus chapter of Sigma Xi.