Welcome to the Department of Biology!
Merrimack’s Biology Major allows you to explore your interests and provides a comprehensive and hands-on education in the life sciences.
The Biology program offers students a wide range of opportunities to explore biology in a student-centered environment. We are a growing and dynamic Department preparing students to successfully meet the challenges and opportunities in the life sciences. Our vision is to offer a nationally recognized undergraduate program in Biology within the context of a strong liberal arts education.
The Department of Biology provides a comprehensive, interdisciplinary education offering breadth and depth of study in the biological sciences, including cellular and molecular biology, biotechnology, genetics, physiology, organismal biology, ecology, behavior and evolution. The curriculum emphasizes the process of science through inquiry-based experiential learning and accomplishment in laboratory and field courses, faculty-mentored research, and a host of co-curricular opportunities. A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Biology is offered.
The Biology major offers the option of program concentrations for students interested in Cell and Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, in Integrative Biology (including pre-med, pre-veterinary, and pre-dental programs), or in Ecology and Behavioral Biology. Students also have the option to craft their own groping of courses by choosing any 5 upper level classes in creating their own customized concentration.
- Cell and Molecular Biology and Biotechnology,
- Integrative Biology (including Pre-Med/Pre-Dent/Pre-Vet)
- Ecology and Behavioral Biology
Students also have the opportunity to minor in a field that complements their studies in Biology, such as Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies and Sustainability or Business. Individual advisement assists students with course selection, course sequencing and career planning.
Come and Explore ‘Life’ at Merrimack College!
- A strong inquiry-based curriculum with breadth and depth in the life sciences and with multidisciplinary support in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics
- Outstanding faculty expertise in research, real-world applications, publications and education across the spectrum of biology
- Small classes, especially in labs and upper level courses where students really get to know their professors in their multiple roles as teachers, research mentors, academic advisors and as people
- Opportunities for experiential learning that provide students with real world application of knowledge and skills obtained from course work and to develop new knowledge base and skill sets in the life sciences.
- High quality curricular and co-curricular options including the HHMI SEA PHAGES global research consortium integrated into the freshman and sophomore labs; Directed Study/Research; Internships; Global Field Studies; the Marine Studies Consortium; Study Abroad; Summer Research; and a campus chapter of Sigma Xi
“Welcome to the Department of Biology at Merrimack College! What a great time to study and become a biologist! In our small and hands-on classes, we get to know you, and through our integrated curriculum, we challenge you to read, write, talk about, think critically about, and most importantly do biological science. Merrimack offers you a wide range of options in your pursuit of becoming a biologist. We provide you with options to explore molecular/cell biology, gene discovery, bioinformatics, molecular modeling, and drug design and synthesis, readying you for careers in the Boston “Gene-Town” biotechnology industry, graduate programs, and beyond. You have the option of pursuing an integrative biology focus that will prepare you for more medically-oriented careers (e.g., physician, dentist, veterinarian, physician’s assistant, nursing, pharmacy), providing wide experience in physiology, biochemistry, development/reproduction, immunology, and more. We also offer students the opportunity to explore applied ecology and behavioral biology giving you hands-on and both lab and field-based experiences in ecology, wetlands, global field studies, animal behavior, marine biology and conservation and restoration biology. You also have the option to customize your own program of study. Our EPA, NSF, and NIH, HHMI, grant award winning faculty and our dedicated staff are devoted to your individual development as scholars, biologists, scientists, professionals and citizens. Check out our website and Facebook page @merrimackbiology. Please come for a visit to our Department, and we will personally show you what we have to offer!”
Janine M. LeBlanc-Straceski, Ph.D., Chair
For More Information Please Contact: