Effective fall 2016, Merrimack College is no longer enrolling students into the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training program.
The Department of Health Sciences offers a CAATE-accredited major in athletic training. The next comprehensive CAATE review will occur in the 2021-22 academic year.
The Merrimack ahletic training education program addresses the growing national need for enhanced care of the injuries and illnesses that impact and disrupt the daily lives of athletes and the physically active. The major in athletic training provides interested students with theoretical and professional preparation in allied health care for athletes and physically active persons.
The athletic training curriculum is designed to prepare students for the BOC certification examination, competent clinical practice and entry into various and related professional and postgraduate programs of study in athletic training and related healthcare fields.
This allied-health preparation is designed to facilitate an academic foundation that will allow graduating students to seek professional certification or professional career opportunities in both the public and private sector, or to continue their education beyond Merrimack.
Upon graduation from Merrimack College, students are expected to practice independently as an athletic trainer, incorporating ethical and moral values during patient care while utilizing evidenced-based practice and research to guide their clinical decision-making.
- Demonstrate the application and mastery of clinical skills and proficiencies necessary in becoming an effective athletic trainer.
- Develop the skills and knowledge needed to become an evidence based health care provider.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in the clinical setting (both orally and in written form).
- Demonstrate an understanding of critical inquiry and analysis necessary in becoming an effective athletic trainer.
- Develop an understanding of the importance for continued professional development in the growth and maturation as a clinician.
BOC Pass Rates
The athletic training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education.