The Department of Computer and Data Sciences in the School of Engineering and Computational Sciences at Merrimack College seeks a dedicated and dynamic individual for a full-time, open rank, non-tenure track faculty position that includes the role of Program Director for the online Master of Science in Data Science program. This pivotal role is scheduled to commence at the start of either the Spring or Fall semester of 2024.
The successful candidate will exhibit a promising track record of excellence in teaching and a commitment to departmental service that includes course development, instruction, advising, and comprehensive oversight of the master’s program. The Program Director will collaborate closely with the Department Chair to strategically guide the program’s growth and development, ensuring its ongoing relevance and impact.
Merrimack College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Therefore, we seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across various social and personal identities and perspectives. We particularly encourage applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds, including first-generation college graduates, individuals from underrepresented communities, and individuals with disabilities.
- Develop, oversee, and continually refine the MS in Data Science program curriculum, ensuring alignment with industry standards and emerging trends.
- Provide visionary leadership in program development, assessment, and strategic planning.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor faculty members, fostering a collaborative and inclusive learning environment.
- Coordinate and supervise faculty, ensuring effective delivery of courses and adherence to program objectives.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with industry professionals, promoting partnerships and internship opportunities for students.
- Mentor master’s students in year-long data analytics and modeling projects.
- Advise students, guiding career paths, internships, and opportunities.
- Stay current with emerging trends and advancements in information technology to ensure program content is up-to-date and aligned with industry needs.
- Collaborate with other departments and stakeholders to promote interdisciplinary initiatives and experiential learning opportunities.
- Teach three courses per semester (12 contact hours).
- Managing the program budget
- A Ph.D. in data science, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or a related field
- Demonstrated excellence, or potential for, teaching excellence at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Work or educational experience in data science, statistics, modeling, or analytics.
- Proven ability to think strategically and implement innovative program development and improvement approaches.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and external stakeholders.
- Effective use of technology in the classroom
- Demonstrated interest in and experience with innovative pedagogies;
- Understanding of and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion issues in STEM and beyond.
- A research program or consulting practice that can involve students in industry projects is optional.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with and commitment to our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Three letters of recommendation that address your teaching and leadership
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Work Location
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and some 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College comprises five schools: liberal arts, science and engineering, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy, and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 34th out of 175 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2022. Merrimack also ranked 3rd in the Most Innovative Schools category. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.